Join our zoo community

General Discassion

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by saikiran, 31 May 2010.

Tags:
  1. saikiran

saikiran New Member

Less or More Time Consuming

Dogs with short coats require virtually no grooming, just a brush and wipe down every so often. Pet dogs with long coats require either regular clipping (every eight weeks or so) and a brush once or twice per week. Show dogs, or dogs with long coats, require daily brushing. If you don't brush your dogs long coat regularly it will tangle and matt. No only can it hurt your dog if he has tangled, matted hair, but it will become dirty and he will look shaggy and ugly if you don't regularly groom his coat.

Just Dog Breeds - 155 Dog Breed Profiles - Large and Small Dog Breeds

2. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

With the increase in the cross breeding of Poodles for the sake of dogs that loose there hair I wonder if it would be a great time to open a dog cutting shop as we now have the following doogs in the UK
    labraoodle
    pugoodle
    jackoodle
    king charlesoodle
    shitsoodle
    and many more
    I wonder what peopes feelings are towards cross breeding of these species of dog,
    some people ignore the fact that dogs have to be groomed on a regular basic and let the hair on a dog look extremely uncomfortable for the dog. iIt only take a few minutes to put the dog under the shower and blow dry him/her dry (as we do with our Poodle).)

3. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

I hate the trend in breeding mutts. There are so many mixed breeds (and purebreds; not all need to be bred) in need of a home, I think it's criminal to keep breeding more. Many are being bred and touted as being hypoallergenic, when in fact, they aren't and get subsequently dumped :(

Poo-Mix Rescue Dogs

4. Tig

Tig Well-Known Member

Yep. My dog and cat are rescues... so are most of my fish and Herps, haha
    But I agree. We have shelters busting at the seams with perfectly good dogs and cats, and there are puppy mills turning out hundreds of puppies a day, which also tend to be sick.

But just pointing out, I think the OP is an ad.

5. jenjen

jenjen Well-Known Member

personaly i think there are several breeds that should be banned ie; the rhodesian ridgeback, i saw a documentary a couple of years ago that said RR are not suppossed to have a ridge (all dogs without the ridge are healthy) and that dogs born with a ridge are actually suffering from a form of cannine spina biffada that can be incrediably painfull.
    yet Some breed parent clubs and canine registries have made the culling of ridgeless puppies a requirement.
    so they are purposely killing the healthy dogs? just for aesthetics.

other dogs such as the bulldog (for well known reasons), the shar pei (for having numerous medical conditions that can even shorten its life)
    even relativly normal looking dogs such as the cavalier king charles spaniel can have numerous invisble medical conditions (such as brain, spinal or muscle complaints)

kind of makes you ashamed about what we've done to them. look at photos of the breeds from a hundred years ago some of them are unreconisable, like the bloodhound.

6. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I think "shitsoodle" is an excellent adjective to describe all the above varieties.

:p

Hix

7. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

I agree withmost of this thread about the cross breeding unfortunatly we have a toy poodle but I would never buy a cross bred poodle because of health issues as these are mainly new cross breeds no one can say what health issues may arise in the future.
    I must admit myself and my mother were on about the local rescue centre the other night and we are going to get our next dog from the rescue centre as we have in the past had a few poodles from them to care for untill they could be found a caring home.

8. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Adrian, slightly off topic, but if when you fancy a rescue poodle, drop me a PM. I work with a toy breed rescue and we quite often have them in.
    As for crossbreeding, it's ridiculous, a poodle cross shih tzu is just as likely to have shih tzu hair as it is poodle hair. We get so many into rescue because they were sold as "non-shedding, non allergenic" and then they do shed and cause allergies, they get dumped.
    It's blinking pointless because there is already non shedding non allergenic dogs, poodles, bichons, airdales, bedlingtons, I could list a good 20 dogs. The crossbreeds are a crazy way for idiots to make money while showing no regard to the health or temperent of the dog.

9. FriendOfTheZoo

FriendOfTheZoo Well-Known Member

I have plenty of dog groomer friends, and "oodles" are the WORSE dogs to clip - they wreck the blades on the clippers MUCH more quickly that traditionally long haired breeds.

To me - oodles are all mutts - plain & simple. It's a bit like breeding a lion & a tiger - what's the point? It's really just an oops litter - unless people are purposely doing it - then they're just idiots.

Give me a purebred, pedigree dog, with all it's heritage know, all it's ancestors free of genetic diseases known to affect the breed any day. Sure you may still get some medical problems, but it won't be a genetic one.