Join our zoo community

Shepreth Wildlife Park Shepreth Wildlife Park News

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Paix, 25 Aug 2010.

Tags:
  1. Hexaprotodon

Hexaprotodon Well-Known Member

Visited this park for the first time last week and quite liked it. Nice nocturnal house with a decent flight for the Egyptian fruit bats was probably my favourite bit. (But I do like small mammals!). There seems to be quite a few ageing animals on their own (e.g. the mountain lion, a lone pine martin and a raccoon) or non-breeding groups. I'm guessing that in time they'll be replaced with programme species. A couple of exciting new species coming into the collection over the next year according to some of the staff I spoke to (small carnivores and cats). I was surprised by the location - basically on a little industrial park next to the railway line - but a decent little zoo with lots of potential in my opinion.

2. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Good news if they are planning to add more species. Are the Scottish Wildcats on show yet?

3. Hexaprotodon

I saw a Scotish Wildcat in the enclosure next to the Polecats and Red Squirrels - not sure if they've always been there or not??

4. Hexaprotodon

Also heard talk of taking on non-breeding Sumatran Tigers when the current elderly pair shuffle off. The enclosure is a bit small for a breeding group so I guess this makes sense - perhaps holding surplus animals until required for breeding by the EEP.

5. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

New species

0.2 Red Pandas have joined the collection from Touroparc in France. The exhibit for them is due to be opened this weekend

6. stubeanz

stubeanz Well-Known Member

0.2 Capybara are currently in quarantine, all being well they will be introduced slowly to the male over the next few weeks. He apparently can be quite aggressive to his own kind so a slow intro is needed.

7. pipaluk

Visited this afternoon and finally saw an armadillo on probably the 5th visit since they arrived!
    Probably my best visit ever, as everything showed apart from the raccoons, including the New arrivals this year, the most active red pandas I've seen anywhere& the Scottish wildcat.The red squirrel, polecat, pine marten, cusimanse & pygmy slow Loris have all been a problem to see at one time or another in the past, but not today. Even saw both Maned Wolves out & about together.
    Left feeling much more positive about the place today and maybe thinking £11 isn't quite so expensive as it's seemed previously!

8. Big Rob

Big Rob Well-Known Member

Weather permitting myself and my better half will be attending Shepreth on New years day. I hope the facilities are better than their website....its dreadful. Nothing like any form of list of animals,feeding times etc. :(

9. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Good luck!!!

10. Big Rob

Why do you say that Zoogiraffe?:eek:

11. zoogiraffe

Its overpriced,of old fashioned design and nothing to write home about,but its great for kids!

12. zoogiraffe

They no longer have any Puma as there 9 year old male died just before Christmas!

13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Shame, that - rather young as the taxon goes.

14. Big Rob

Oh sugar,the Puma was one of the main reasons for going as I have never seen one :(

15. zoogiraffe

Its such a shame as he wasn't all that old,and he was a very fine animal and on top if that he was an animal,that I have known since he was 12 weeks old,as a result of him having to be hand reared!

I would say that the only species that they have now that is a bit different is the Crab-eating Macaques

16. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

The Grivet Monkeys and the odd kind of Spiny Mouse are also arguable high points of the species collection.

17. pipaluk

18. Hexaprotodon

I think is a nice little zoo. Agree that it's a shame about the Puma - he was a magnificent cat in my opinion.

There are some interesting species dotted about as well, but also a good zoo for kids as they can get up close to many of the species on display.

Where abouts have they put the female Red Pandas mentioned earlier in the thread?

A relatively small injection of cash would make this a really good small zoo, they need to smarten it up a bit, but still well worth a visit. Of course, I am quite nostalgic about 'old fashioned' small zoos so others will probably not agree!

19. pipaluk

Red Pandas are where the red Fox was. In the corner as you first go in, between the raccoon & coati.
    I think it's ok as small zoos go, a few rarities along with the usual not so rare ones! At £11, plus £2 for bug world ( which I've never been in!), it's more expensive than most zoos of its size though and some better ones, e.g Hamerton .

20. Hexaprotodon

Thanks for the info, and fair point about the price. I'm used to Drusillas charging £16 entry to a pretty small collection, but unfortunately you also pay for all the theming and rides as well there. Drusillas is however a very well maintained and smart small zoo.

Do they have any room to expand Shepreth? I recall it being built adjacent to a main line railway in what felt like a little industrial park. I was very surprised by the location (and must confess I 've only been once last March), but they seem to have packed a lot into about 10 acres.