Join our zoo community

Shepreth Wildlife Park Shepreth Wildlife Park News

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Paix, 25 Aug 2010.

Tags:
  1. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just returned from an eventful trip to the collection,via unreliable rail service. Did not see Grison or Possum among the current collection (must be off show?). The macaque enclosure was empty due to them dying of old age. The Otter enclosure was being renovated after the loss of the female otter,so they were not on show. Ocelot hidden away,and no Maned wolf,but other than that,the rest of the animals decided to show their faces.

The Egyptian Fruit bats were making such a squeaking racket i'm surprised the slow loris or spiny mouse were not banging on the walls of the nocturnal house,telling them to shut up!.

Cusimanse and meerkats playing out in the sun. Good little reptile house home to a few cockroaches and beetles and snakes,..and piranha's.Steamy little tropical house home to snaked necked turtle,snaping turtle,koi,pygmy and common marmosets.

The prairie dogs gave us a chuckle with their Mexican wave antics.

So,overall,despite the train cancellations,the zoo itself was fun and took about 1hr half to trek around.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  2. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Zootierliste doesn't list either of these species as being held at Shepreth. Are you thinking of Hamerton (they have Grison)?

pipaluk likes this.
  3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

No, you just got confused as to which collection in Cambridgeshire holds those species :p to see those you'll need to visit Hamerton instead.... not that this is a great burden as the latter collection is well-worth a visit anyhow!

pipaluk likes this.
  4. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The old female otter, Darma, died last year, but was replaced fairly quickly. There are no renovations going on, but viewing of the otters has been restricted as they have a young pup. The White-Lipped Tamarins also have a youngster.

The old racoon enclosure has been filled with a mixed exhibit for Azara's Agouti and Black-Tailed Marmoset (the old Agouti enclosure adjacent to the tropical house is empty).

The death of the Crab-Eating Macaques is a pity - they have a decent-sized outdoor exhibit, but the indoor quarters are small, meaning it would be difficult to have more than 3-4 animals in there, unless they opted for a smaller species (a return for Squirrel Monkeys perhaps?).

5. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member 5+ year member

OK thanks for the clarification.Just assumed that the blocking barriers and the pile of soil bags was for renovation.

6. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

The marten died about a month ago (old age) which has led to the squirrels taking over her pad and their house being prepared for a new unspecified resident.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  7. littleRedPanda

Looks like Shepreth now have a pair of Pardine Genets

8. TeaLovingDave

The question is whether they are true Pardine, or the suspect stock also floating around.....

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. littleRedPanda

Just noticed they have video of a yellow breasted capuchin on their facebook too; another recent addition?

10. Indlovu

It looks like it - a replacement for the Crab-Eating Macaques by the looks of it?

(I’ve no idea where in the zoo the Genets are)

11. TeaLovingDave

Looking at the Shepreth FB page, they are the suspect stock.

I actually have a theory as to what, precisely, these animals are based on two facts:

1) The private breeder who first bred the species in the UK a few years ago kept both Pardine and Feline Genet to the best of my knowledge. They definitely had true Pardine as I saw one of their animals when it was briefly on-display in a collection near me.
    2) The suspect stock first popped up at Wingham and came, I believe, from said breeder. I think a lot (perhaps all) of the subsequent suspect stock has been bred at Wingham itself.

Therefore I see two possibilities:

The suspect stock are Pardine x Feline hybrids to some extent
    The suspect stock are Feline and Wingham misidentified what they were getting from the breeder :p this is the option I am gradually shifting more and more towards.

12. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Does anywhere in the uk still have true pardines?

13. littleRedPanda

Visited today. The Genets (from Wingham) are in the old red squirrel enclosure that they left after moving to the Marten's home on it's passing. 3 capuchins are in the ex macaque enclosure.

pipaluk likes this.
  14. TeaLovingDave

Judging from photographs and videos, this place does:

Wild Discovery

15. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Nice!!!

16. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

17. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Sad, but 20 is an amazing innings for a Tiger.

18. Indlovu

Shepreth have announced via social media this morning that Sumatran Tigers will be joining the collection this year, following the death of the elderly tigress Amba in November last year.

pipaluk likes this.
  19. Zooreviewsuk

Zooreviewsuk Well-Known Member

Signs at the park and their talks have confirmed this for at least the last 6 weeks, so it's not really new news :/

20. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was there last Sunday, but must have missed the signs about Sumatran tigers.
    If you have been recently, did you see the Ocelot ? All signage has been removed.Also do you know whether they only have one Maned wolf now ?