Join our zoo community

Manor House Wildlife Park Manor House news

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 4 May 2012.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

They're obviously so busy getting their new venture at the Blackbrook site started that they are just copying their near-neighbours' ideas to keep Manor House chugging along ;)

Just a shame they are so busy trying to cope with two locations that they have neglected to apply for a zoo licence for the new site!

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Competition is normally regarded as a good thing, but I think in this case its a pity these two collections are so close.

3. Communityzoo

Communityzoo Well-Known Member

When Folly Farm announced they would be going into working with black rhino (here: http://www.zoochat.com/38/black-rhinos-folly-farm-363895/), my initial reaction was, out of all the taxa they could have opted to work with, why invest in the one that the nearest wildlife collection had spent so many years trying to bring to Wales? Given that people posting at the time seemed to be almost celebrating the decision Folly Farm made to go into working with black rhino, I held off commenting as I assumed my judgement must be off and that perhaps my notion of zoos competing was an erroneous one, despite having similar reservations about Colchester during the early years of Africa Alive. But I'd always thought, as holdings in a continent-wide network of EEP and ESB programs, zoos in the same area would want the public to visit them both? How can you compete as a business but subscribe to the idea of cooperation as conservation partners?

However, now Manor house is doing something it not only has been consistently criticised for not doing (bringing in new species of real conservation value), and making a logical step given they are so near to a rapidly-expanding collection that is willing to bring in the same high-profile animals held by them, I'm confused that they are being criticised for trying to compete with Folly Farm!

I'm not sure what it is, but for whatever reason people frown on Manor house and it's current owners, it should be remembered that they really turned around what was IMHO an ailing and second-rate zoo, ensuring the remaining individuals were housed properly before attempting to bring in new stock. I get the feeling that, had Manor House attempted to keep giraffes and had the same losses as Folly Farm, they would have been absolutely trashed on here.

Yes, naive rich folk can be annoying, especially when they're kissing kune kune piglets and making anthropomorphic comments about wild animals, but I just think, well...credit where it's due?

TriUK likes this.
  4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Alternatively, look at it this way … here is an opportunity for both to look into! Why not work together and provide quid-quo pro visits either way?

Other exciting means and methods to work together too …!!!

6. Communityzoo

Communityzoo Well-Known Member

Having posted straight after yours, I should have made it clear that I wasn't responding to your observation, and definitely took it as such. It was more seeing the contrast between threads re the black rhino and the news here of the plans for tigers.

Absolutely....it baffles me that there isn't more cooperation between neighbouring collections to (a) ensure there are distinct reasons to visit both and (b) promote each other through discounts and packages.

7. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

Pembrokeshire might be a very good place for a certain type of animal collection. It has a very mild climate, its holiday resorts bring in a steady stream of visitors, and South Wales is desperately short of places to see exotic wild animals.

I'm just not sure that there is going to be enough money going round to make both collections profitable. Competition is a fact of life, as Darwin noted some time back.

8. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

The tiger enclosure is now finished!!!!!

The new female tiger is due to arrive in the coming weeks!!

9. banham.tiger

A female Sumatran tiger named Terima has arrived today!!

This is manor house wildlife parks first tiger!

10. jacks zoo

jacks zoo Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any pics of the new tiger accommodation? The park has a new logo and they seem to be just calling it Manor Wildlife Park now

11. James Balkwill

James Balkwill Member

Hi everyone haven't done a post in a long long time.
    Does anyone have any news about what is going to happen this year.
    Will be nice to here from anyone

12. banham.tiger

Male Sumatran tiger Jaya has arrived from Chester zoo. He is already mixed with the female.

13. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The wildlife park has received 3 Visayan Warty Pigs and guessing from the photo on their facebook in the old Flamingo exhibit.
    "Introducing Elvis, Boris and Vinne; the three newest members of the Manor Park family!
    These three cheeky chaps are Visayan Warty Pigs and are some of the rarest animals on the planet, with an estimated wild population of Just 200!!"

14. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

0.0.2 Red-bellied Lemurs have been born.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  15. welshchatter91

welshchatter91 Member

16. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

18. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think that's probably an error. Unless they were temporarily holding it on behalf of another zoo.

19. giant_anteater

giant_anteater Well-Known Member

I think when the fire at London zoo destroyed the aardvark enclosure, the remaining one was relocated to Manor House. I’m sure I remember reading that at the time.

20. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The article is from August 2017 though. The fire didn't happen until December..