Join our zoo community

General Pakistani Zoo-news

Discussion in 'Pakistan' started by vogelcommando, 4 May 2018.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. J I N X

J I N X Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Firstly, the war on terror in Pakistan is all but over, come on over see for yourselves. Anyways that's not what I'm here to talk about. Peshawar zoo opened in February way ahead of schedule to build up popularity for the current government because elections are coming up. There is barely any vegetation in the zoo and most enclosures are not yet fully functioning. The animals in the zoo are the responsibility of the contractors who bought them, for the first 4 months ie quarantine. The Nilgai died within the first month it was brought, now I'm no expert but I have a feeling it was brought ill. The birds that have died are mainly passerines and their housing conditions are old Victorian style, I'm currently advising the zoo on improving those, I'll appreciate any suggestions you guys can make too, contact the zoo on their Facebook page. There was no wolf breaking into the monkey enclosure. The wolf and macaque had apparently been kept together since before the zoo acquired them and so they were left in the same enclosure, the incident occurred during the night in the indoor quarters when keepers were not around. Who you want to blame for this, the designers for not having separate shelters or the zoo staff is up to you I'm just gonna put the facts here. The snow leopard died due to a clogged artery, the zoo has no facilities for detections of such conditions, I hope this changes soon because the development plan does include veterinary facilities, exactly when this will come into being is anyone's guess.

Lahore zoo's animal hospital is under construction and medical services are provided by UVAS (University of veterinary and animal sciences). Now this is adequate most of the time but because medical personnel are not immediately available it does unfortunately lead to animal deaths. The total number of tigers at the zoo were 18, 3 unfortunately died but the outbreak has now been controlled after administration of medicine by UVAS and zoo personnel. I'm not even gonna try to defend the quarantine facilities in Lahore, they need serious updating and have undoubtedly led to deaths of newly acquired animals, including 2 cheetahs. Suzi's death wasn't only because of acute leg pain, she was suffering from intestine infection, ulcers, high uric acid and liver disease, because of the public outcry on this, the zoo's curator was removed and the entire matter and everyone involved is currently under investigation.

As for Islamabad zoo, I believe it, and any other zoo not run directly by a wildlife department in the country, should be shut down, they have non trained personnel (at best some have past experiences with livestock) and treat their animals like amusement park rides.

If anyone has any questions regarding zoos in Pakistan or the country in general I'll be more than happy to help you out :)

3. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I knew Islamabad Zoo in its early days (1978) and would be fascinated to hear more about its history and current activity.

J I N X likes this.
  4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hello, @J.I.N.X. thanks for your feedback and refreshing perspectives on Pakistan's zoo community. And yes, …. keep them coming. Very interested to learn and hear more!

J I N X likes this.
  5. J I N X

J I N X Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I do plan on making detailed articles on zoos in Pakistan. I do know the basics but I'm currently compiling detailed info. I'll be sure to let you know about when I'm done.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.