Join our zoo community

General Zoo Misconceptions

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by CZJimmy, 24 Oct 2007.

1. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Just because we know the difference doesn't mean everyone does.

Someone may be making the same comments about other people for not knowing the difference between a V8 engine and V6 engine, or different football strips.

Yes it is annoying as it is our hobby/passion/work, maybe we should turn this into a thread about how we have gone about changing these "General Zoo Misconceptions"

2. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

In fairness to Meg-T, we're talking about thinking a gorilla is a rhino - this is more akin to not knowing the difference between a motorbike and a car than a V6 and a V8.

3. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Okay so my examples where not great but the points still stands.

4. siamang27

siamang27 Well-Known Member

Well gorillas and rhinos are animals everyone should know about...it's not like we're talking about a tarsier or even a tapir. It's understandable that people don't know what a tapir is, even though they're in almost every zoo. That is if you haven't seen one before and there's no sign telling you what it is. There's nothing wrong with not knowing what an animal is, but if there's a sign with the common name of that animal right in front of you you could at least read the sign and find out the name of the animal you're watching...

5. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Really, I don't need to know about them to live.

Not everyone is interested in showing kids what a rhino is or are exposed to these animals. Hard to believe I know but it happens.

6. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think if a kid younger than below the age of 14 made a mistake (E.g. Calling a Tiger a Lion, Ape a Monkey, etc) it would be OK, kids aren't really educated about animals at school much, and many don't go to school often enough to know that most exhibits have signs with names on. I only know more than the average kid of my age because I loved watching films with animals in when I was younger (Lion King, Jungle Book), and became interested and started looking for them in zoos or looking them up on the internet (assisted, of course), and when I saw a similar animal I looked for a sign with a name on, and looked on the internet... and I got to where I am now. I still don't know as much about birds, reptiles, fish and amphibians as I know about mammals, but I'm learning more all the time.

Another big help for me was Zoo Tycoon 2- I found out about loads of new animals on that.

7. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What I do not understand is why this type of public who have no interest in the fauna (as confusing as different species such as gorillas and rhinoceros, or many others in many zoos around the world) are going to the zoo, going to other sites that are of interest for they,do not believe that it is more logical?

8. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

Although this isn't a real "misconception", Its a story containing a parent telling a small child a lie and then heavily regretting it

It was feeding time for the owls at Toronto Zoo, so some dead mice were put on a log platform and the keeper left

After 5 mintutes or so, the owl still hadn't taken the dive and a mother with a young daughter had strolled up

Of course, the daughter saw the dead mice idly passed out on the log and asked "Are they dead" in a sad voice (She was about 3)

Being only three, the daughter would have been upset with the mice being dead so the mom quickly implyed that they were just taking a nap

Th daughter smiled and turned around just in time to see the owl fly down and snatch a mouse and then devour it

The daughter then became extremely upset and I think there happy zoo day ended there

9. Meg-T

Meg-T Well-Known Member

I think you missed the point of my comment. It is not worrying because they do not know the difference. It is worrying because people should know the difference!

The planet and a lot of it's animals are in serious trouble and the threat of mass extinction still looms. More and more money is being spent on education to try and combat this, yet comments like those being sited here are still occuring. My comment came from a conservational view that yes it is indeed a worrying problem.

Last edited: 29 Jul 2009
  10. taun

taun Well-Known Member

I get what you are saying however, this is what WE care about and not everyone shares our views. So this sort of thread although funny doesn't really help to convert the masses where creating a divided where we would rather snigger at what we see as someone stupidity when really its that they either don't care or have not been educated properly.

The planet also has a lot of plant species that are in serious trouble but I suppose you don't know anything or not really bothered about that.

11. Meg-T

Meg-T Well-Known Member

Again from a conservationist view I certainly am :)

My original comment was not meant as a way of "sniggering" at someones ignorance, but as a general note of concern. These are people who have visited zoos, so must have some (even passing) interest. As previously stated, education and media campaigns are aimed at general public, and people with no interest, as well as people like us on zoochat. I think if anything this thread shows how this is failing...

12. taun

taun Well-Known Member

See you make the assumption that because they have visited a zoo they have some interest on some level. When in reality it is just a nice day out to many families.

Do you polite correct people when they are wrong with the facts?

Also would you listen to campaign to educate you in something you were not interested in? I suggest it was failed in the first place, and you're never going to convert the masses. How many stories in the media do we see stating how endangered a species is only for the next week for them to report they have found another population of them, really is this educating the general populace of the delicate balance our eco-systems are in?

13. Meg-T

Meg-T Well-Known Member

I agree - I have worked in areas involving education (not just concerning animals or conservation), and I think many education programmes are lacking, and do not hold the interest of people who are not interested in the topic. I think education on the whole is in need of new ideas, and I hope they come soon. I personally believe this is particularly important with conservation, the messages should always be consistant and clear.

However this (albeit interesting) discussion is off topic, but I am happy to continue via PM :)

14. ZooBunny

ZooBunny Member

When you're a zoo keeper/animal behaviourist/ecologist or whatever and they're all working boring 9-5pm office jobs you'll be the cool one! You already know way more about animals and zoos than I do and I'm 27 so don't let them get you down. We think you're cool anyway :)

15. kkkp

kkkp Well-Known Member

And i just thought it was me.well it isnt thank goodness..

Today was my first day of many when I decided to wear foam ear plugs to block out the rubbish i hear and thats just on the way to the Zoo.
    :D

16. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

On my last visit to Taronga I was photographing the Tree Kangaroos when a school group walked past. The teacher looked up in the tree and said "It's just more Red Pandas" and took the group on to the next exhibit.

:p

Hix

17. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

Someone thought the Lesser Snow Geese at Toronto Zoo were otters :p

18. European Fauna

European Fauna Well-Known Member

Almost inevitable when passing through any reptile house - "Are they real?"
    And in the case of bison or reindeer shedding in Spring / Summer - "Obviously mange ; disgraceful how those animals are kept".

19. ZooBunny

ZooBunny Member

I often hear people talking about Hyenas when looking at the African hunting dogs

20. Quartz92

Quartz92 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I heard that too!