Join our zoo community

Genetic diversity and zoo conservation

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by SealPup, 11 Dec 2017.

1. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ok, I love Jersey Zoo, and have volunteered there for extended periods over the years. However, I would agree that Jewels of the Forest and the Herp Dept are outstanding, as is the Orang complex. I've not seen the revamped Bat Tunnel, but expect that to be pretty special as well.

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Dec 2017
  2. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

Mmm... granted I went in cold weather, and I had high expectations, but all the same my point was that not even Jersey itself escaped Jersey-ification: though the staff were helpful as regards my ill health, there was a feeling of humdrum, whereas the reputation of Trinity was once exceptional: people would come from round the world to see something truly exceptional.

True there were some good species like crested ibis and aye aye but they were no-shows: other Jersey species of note, like the volcano rabbits, are now long gone. It says much that what I enjoyed most was a matter of zoo architecture, and not zoology.

I might say, might I not, I went at a bad time. But really there are worse times too. Summer gets crowded and can be too hot, si? So really... I didn't go at a very bad time.

Despite what ppl say I don't like Jersey (the island) btw. Its too developed, Guernsey is nicer.

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Dec 2017
  3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Is this a common term? I have never heard it before, and putting it into google comes back with one usage (this thread).

[I fixed all those broken quotes too]

Last edited: 20 Dec 2017
  4. Carl Jones

Carl Jones Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I work for Durrell and have never heard the term Jersey-ifiction before. SealPups synopsis of Jersey's impact is only part of what the zoo does.

5. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Same here I have never heard of it before and my experiences at Jersey are quite a bit different than those of Sealpup.

6. SealPup

I saw it in print in IZES journal: the idea behind Jersey Zoo as a model for transforming & presenting mainland UK collections over recent decades. It was not meant as an attack on Jersey, but Jersey is used as a template for homogenisation. Together with the criticism, that someone such as Durrell could not get a zoo started in the present climate, and nor could other zoo names like Mottershead.

But when I went to Jersey I still felt the institution lacked its old identity & dynamism: nowadays its much like any British zoo of a similar grounds size. I had expected to see much more endangered fauna that I couldn't see on the mainland, than I did. Surely this is a fair criticism given the costs of travel to the CI and accommodation, even from GB or France. As a zoo, Jersey is still fine (although not excellent), but throwing in the wider costs, I can't reccommend going unless you already live on the island, though the staff at the entrance were polite and helpful when I had a problem.

7. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Durrell has been less focused on the zoo itself the last years, which might have changed with the arrival of a new director. At the same time there is still a very nice collection with some seldom seen species. Not just reptiles, but as well in the bird section and when you look at the Malagasy mammals. Plus you do have some gems like the black-headed lion tamarins. And in the end the most interesting thing of visiting Jersey is the connection with the in-situ work.

SealPup likes this.
  8. SealPup

Maybe, but I am a zoo visitor, which is a kind of tourist - thats how we all turn up. To me, the idea we should stay enthusiastic about a collection because of conservation work, is tugging at our sense of morality so we don't evaluate a zoo fairly as what it is: yes there are some good species at Jersey, but is the experience what I had expected? Its entirely fair if I rate Jersey or anywhere else on a basis of what I experienced on the day, and value for money. Was it worth hopping all the way to Jersey to see the zoo - and most of us would go there for little else? No, not really, which is not saying its a bad zoo, just commenting on the unexceptional feel when I was there, the feeling of "was that it?" when I left. Whereas once, it would've surely been/felt exceptional, much as somewhere like London was.for its own reasons once exceptional, giving it a specific importance beyond an average decent-ish zoo, but you cannot assert that today.

Are there not other zoo trips to Europe, requiring a ferry or a plane flight, that would involve a similar number rarely seen species? My Dutch, Rhine Valley and Polish experiences were all better value for money at the same time of year. It might just be the exact day I went the best animals were no-show, but I can only be honest that my trip was a bit of a disappointment all the same, hopefully without denying there were good things about the collection or the visit. The post was made in the context of homogenisation of zoo collections and their narratives, not to attack Jersey.

I still think sincere zoo conservation efforts are the enthusiasm of individuals like Durrell or Aspinall, not really something by committee. Same thing with zoos themselves, without a personal touch they lose vitality and vision.

9. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Loro Parque comes to mind.