Join our zoo community

Gentoo penguins to be split into four species?

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by amur leopard, 5 Nov 2020.

1. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here is an interesting article about a suggested split of the gentoo penguin into four different species, despite the species currently only having two subspecies!

Gentoo penguins are four species, not one

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

The citation is given as "Joshua Tyler, Matthew T. Bonfitto, Gemma V. Clucas, Sushma Reddy, Jane L. Younger. Morphometric and genetic evidence for four species of gentoo penguin. Ecology and Evolution"

However the paper does not show up for me in a Google search, even on the journal's website.

CheeseChameleon1945 likes this.
  3. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

This seems....... a little unlikely.

4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Study is online now:
    https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/ece3.6973

It seems that they use a PSC approach and at least some of the methodology is flawed (multivariate analysis is only a good tool if the different input variables are independent and it is quite clear they aren't). Overall still interesting to find such genetic differences and some morphological differences (on a small dataset), but it seems they have forgotten that you can also call them subspecies instead of full species. I haven't seen results that show these different populations aren't simply a cline with gene flow between them, but I skimmed parts of the article so might have missed that...

5. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

Yes, I am more convinced that these are subspecies, not full fledged species. The differences are interesting, but too subtle to be split in to multiple species.