Join our zoo community

United Kingdom George Soper Cansdale (1909-1993)

Discussion in 'Zoo History' started by zoowhosewho, 11 Dec 2019.

1. zoowhosewho

zoowhosewho Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    George Soper Cansdale (1909-1993) ... Mr Cansdale was born in Essex in 1909 ... he went on to gain a Degree in Forestry at Oxford .. he joined the Colonial Service and in 1934 was appointed as a Forestry Officer in the Gold Coast ( now Ghana) during his time in Africa he began to collect Animals initially for Paignton Zoo ... after a while he was collecting Animals for other Zoos too including London .. He got married in 1940 to Margaret Williamson..and they had 2 sons both born in Bournemouth

In 1947 he was recruited as The Superintendent for London Zoo a post he held until 1953 .. he also Broadcast for the BBC both on the Radio and TV During the 1960's he regularly appeared on the Childrens TV show "Blue Peter" and in fact well into the 1980's I remember him appearing on the show...

Mr Cansdale was also an author writing at least 9 books (definitley more as he wrote a whole series for Ladybird books) ..... In 1964 in a collaboration with Robert Jackson from the Welsh Mountain Zoo he became Director of Marineland Ltd opening up Marineland in Morecambe ... however after a year that establishment was taken over by the Local council due to financial problems .... In 1965 Mr Cansdale was a Company Director of the Skegness Natureland Marine Zoo along with JKB Yeadon ... (Yeadon family still run the Seal Sanctuary in Skegness) ... It is also reported that Mr Cansdale was a Director of Chessington Zoo.

He sadly passed away in August 1993 in Essex

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Did he also own/operate Ferndown Zoo near Bournemouth?

3. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Is he the man who feuded with Gerald Durrell?

4. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

This is an interesting series - but if it is going to include every zoo person and every closed zoo in the UK it will swamp the UK page. Could it not have its own section under say 'Resources & Media'

Pertinax likes this.
  5. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Or put them at in a single topic called "British Zoo History". I too am really enjoying the series

Pertinax, zooboy and Andrew Swales like this.
  6. zoowhosewho

That was Dorothy Sadler.. Not sure if he was also involved

Pertinax likes this.
  7. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes. Certainly Cholmondely the escaping Chimpanzee was shot on his watch, and Durrell never forgave Cansdale.

Brum likes this.
  8. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Whatver the section, I really enjoy this stuff, and keep learning -- I didn't know there had ever been a Ferndown Zoo, and I live in Dorset.

9. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

It has the potential to become an importance resource. I thought it might become fragmented, and be of more future use if more easily found, and grouped together somehow. It is sometimes hard to find particular subjects, lost in the volume on this site.

10. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I'm inclined to agree with you with regards to this matter - I'll forward the suggestion to @Simon Hampel , as only he can create new sections or subforums :)

zoowhosewho likes this.
  11. zoowhosewho

I have a bit of information about the Ferndown Zoo so can do a Thread about it at some point or message me and I can pass info onto you

Last edited: 12 Dec 2019
  12. zooboy

zooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So I assume George Cansdale must have lived for a time in Bournemouth; do you know when and what his job was then? It is intriguing to speculate if this was during the same period that the Durrell family were resident in Bournemouth.

13. zoowhosewho

I will check later once I get back home.. Thinking possibly not at the same time as Durrells in Bournemouth mid to late 50's and Cansdale sons born in Early 1940's. George Cansdale was employed at London Zoo 1947 to 1953... I may be able to check Electoral rolls later