Join our zoo community

Georgia Aquarium - Beluga Whale Conservation

Discussion in 'United States' started by Vulpes, 5 Jul 2012.

1. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

I came across this newly uploaded video on youtube. It is of a representative from the Georgia Aquarium talking about importing some new wild caught Belugas from Russia. I am sure this in itself would cause a lot of debate but its the video that baffled me! Have a careful listen to what he is saying. its very much a contradiction and I think its a slight on genuine conservation work that zoo's are doing. I think this is a positive example of zoo's/ aquariums using the term "Conservation" as a smoke screen.

I understand why they are importing the whales and I am not necessarily against that but using a generic smoke screen of "Conservation" for every act zoo's carry out I think is wrong. They are what they are.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  2. team tapir

team tapir Well-Known Member

@Vulpes What exactly do you find to be contradicting about the video, to us its pretty straight forward.They are importing whales in order to bolster captive populations.What about this is not conservation.Captive populations serve to conserve endangered wild populations.If there is something we are missing here or if Georgia is not being completely truthful in some things then by all means point this out.Otherwise we fully support this as well similar projects with polar bears.

Team Tapir

3. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I think this is brilliant - especially the chap's closing comment about standing tall. I admire his, and the aquarium's, bullishness, and wish that other zoos were similarly happy to talk about the benefits of keeping animals in captivity. Good on the Georgia Aquarium!

4. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

I completely agree. An excellent and exemplary video.

5. team tapir

team tapir Well-Known Member

Glad we are not the only ones who liked the video and support Georgia Aquarium on this :)

Team Tapir

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I'm with Vulpes on this one. I have absolutely no problem with holding animals in zoos/aquariums for the sole reason of exhibition so long as the animals' needs are met (i.e. I'm not one of those people who think animals should only be in zoos because they're endangered) -- you can call it for advocacy purposes if you want -- but really the commentary in this video is almost obsequious. Vulpes is quite correct that it is using conservation as a mask to justify obtaining more beluga. Listen to the statement at about 2.20: "...so it's plain to see that maintaining a sustainable population of belugas in human care is essential to the survival of belugas everywhere" -- I mean, seriously?? If the aquarium wants to get beluga from the wild and it isn't endangering the wild population then that's fine, but don't dress it up as faux conservation.

7. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

Team Tapir, I think you have missed my point. I am not against what they are doing. Its just the reasons they are giving and their facts are unfounded.

Firstly, Beluga are not endangered. They maybe in danger of becoming inbred or dying out in captivity, fair enough.

Secondly, They are large and very enigmatic creatures that people like to see and if it inspires them to care about the beluga and do something to protect the seas it lives in, in turn having a knock on effect on other less endearing, but more endangered animals, then it is a job well done in my opinion. These whales undoubtedly bring in revenue. if this can be channelled into providing protection for the wild whales then a couple from the wild is a small sacrifice.

Thirdly, I dont like the misfact and deliberate misleading by the aquarium and they are blurring the lines of genuine conservation. It is very clear it is an attempt to deflect the inevitable protest from the antis about bringing these wild caught whales into captivity.

Finally, I could go into detail on where and when the video contradicts itself but I just dont have the time. Ill just say that there is a big difference in what they start of by saying, and what they say about them at the end.

8. Cetaboy

Cetaboy Member

Well actually vulpes the beluga whale is threatened, in alska and canadian waters, but as I am aware of I think the sea where these animals are coming from are in a good population density, so even if they took out 30 individuals it wouldn't hurt furture populations genetic diversity.