Join our zoo community

Getting a job in a new zoo

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Elsa89, 30 Dec 2014.

1. Elsa89

Elsa89 New Member

Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help and advise me?

I am looking for a new job. I currently work in a safari park, and love it, it's just that I want to move to a new establishment. I want to gain further knowledge and experiences working with new animals.

I have been applying for the last year and have not been having much luck. I have a degree in animal behaviour and have two years or experience in a zoo environment.

Any advice??

Thanks x

2. Hexaprotodon

Hexaprotodon Well-Known Member

Hi Elsa,

I would suggest joining an organisation such as ABWAK (The Association of British & Irish Wild Animal Keepers). Looks good on a CV and of course you get regular updates on what's going on in UK zoos via their journal 'Ratel'.

Going to the ABWAK Symposium in March would also give you a chance to network and meet zoo professionals from other collections. It shows a potential employer that you are taking your career in animal husbandry seriously and are looking to progress.

Good luck,

Hex

3. Hexaprotodon

Hexaprotodon Well-Known Member

Also worth checking this link for vacancies regularly:

Zoo Jobs

4. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Also, get someone experienced to look over your cv or application forms, you might be missing out important info or just not selling yourself properly.

5. Elsa89

Elsa89 New Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm considering finishing with my current employment and begin volunteering at a new zoo. How would that look to prospective employers? I'm worried it would look silly to quit a paid keeper position?

6. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Yorkshire Wildlife Park has a number of roles advertised, maybe beneath your qualifications, but worth a look if you are considering volunteering anyway

Yorkshire Wildlife Park

7. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I would stay with your current place,as being employed and working within the zoo world,will look alot better than,having left a place and now just volunteering will do on your CV.

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Packing it in is not the right response I guess. Really would not be looking good on any C.V.! Besides it would be wise to have your sights on a secured new job in the zoo industry as opposed to burning your books beforehand!!!

It would be better to take up the advice given and join ABWAK, do some networking at their upcoming annual and see what comes up there!

9. Elsa89

Elsa89 New Member

Thanks for all the help :)

The only argument that I have is that I don't believe that the collection I'm working with is doing me any favours on my cv. Also I am eager to gain more experience, so could it really be that detrimental by wanting to volenteer at a new place?

I haven't packed anything in yet, and won't untill I'm certIn I can carry on working with animals, this is what I've always wanted to do.

Also... I now have abwak membership

10. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Well that narrows the field as to where you work,but let me say even working in a place like that,is better on your CV,than the fact that you quit working at the place,in fact I know a few places where the fact that you are working,there but are looking at leaving if the right places comes up would be looked upon in a favorably light!