Join our zoo community

Getting to Ostrava, Olomouc and Brno zoos

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by eddielargefc, 27 Mar 2013.

1. eddielargefc

eddielargefc Active Member

Hi My son and I are big zoo enthusiasts from the Uk and we are really looking forward to a July trip to the Czech Republic where we plan to visit three zoos; Ostrava, Olomouc and Brno. Unfortunately we don't think that we can squeeze Zlin in as we are travelling by train and on a tight schedule. I believe we need to get bus 11 or 111 to Olomouc as it is 20 minutes away from the city, is that correct? Are Brno and Ostrava much easier to get to from their respective train stations?

Any advice is appreciated.

2. Jakub

Jakub Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi,
    Olomouc Zoo is reachable from the main station with bus 11 which will take you to the bus stop Svaty Kopecek, Zoo, the journey is 20 minutes. The main entrance is about 200 meters.
    As for Ostrava Zoo the best option is to take a trolley 101 which stops right at the main entrance. To Brno Zoo you will take tram 1, Bystrc direction.
    Shame you will not probably have time to visit Zlin Zoo, it is really very high-standard European zoo, at the end of April they plan to move 2 females and one male Southern white rhino into the new mix-enclosure with Lechwes and Ostriches and a pair of Malayan tapirs is due to arrive at the end of June and a brand new enclosure for them will be opened, they will share it with Siamangs.
    My highly recommendation goes for Zlin Zoo. Hope you will have a nice zoo-trip:))

3. eddielargefc

eddielargefc Active Member

Thanks Jakub. My friend from Vsetin recommended Czech zoos, so I went off and booked a whirlwind tour from Katowice - Ostrava - Olomouc - Brno - Vienna - Gyor - Bratislava and was very pleased with myself for squeezing so much in, in so many different countires. But when I told her she was furious because she wanted me to go to Zlin and Plzen! So I will have to save them for another trip.