Join our zoo community

Giant Centipedes: Experiences with Centipede Bites & Behavior

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by findi, 5 Jun 2013.

1. findi

findi Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Whether you are considering the massive Amazonian Giant Centipede (Scolopendra gigantea) or the tiniest native species, the keeping of these fascinating but potentially dangerous creatures should not be undertaken lightly. During the course of my career in zoo-keeping and field research, I’ve encountered many species, and have learned something of the difficulties and dangerous their care poses. An escaped Giant Centipede once gave me much cause for concern (please see article linked below), and several colleagues have been bitten, sometimes with dire results. Yet many of us are drawn to them, and with so much still to learn, and so many species yet to be discovered, their study offers an exciting challenge.

Read the rest of this article here: Giant Centipedes - My Experiences with Centipede Bites and Behavior

Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

Thanks, Frank
    My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've been bitten several time by Dutch native species - just several centimeters long - but even these bites do hurt ! I did however survaived it :)

3. findi

findi Well-Known Member

Thank you...some of the small natives species here in the USA can also deliver a painful bite, although not dangerous unless one is allergic. Are any common in Holland?

best, Frank