Join our zoo community

Giant Otters in the USA

Discussion in 'United States' started by Zoogoer2000, 21 Apr 2012.

1. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

Hello everyone

I was doing some reading tonight on Philadelphia Zoo's giant otter page, and I decided it would be good to start a thread on this

I was just wondering if anyone can do a complete overview on the giant otters in North America currently. All animals, where they came from, years born, etc.

To kick this off, I can provide some info. I used to know all of this quite well, but the population is quickly increasing, making things hard to keep track of

Philadelphia first received two male brothers "Banjo" and "Rio", and then a female named Nina in 2002. Rio left overseas (Germany?). In 2004, the first male pup "Primero" was born. After this litter, I think there were 6-8 more litters, resulting in about 20 more pups

2. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm not sure where the Los Angeles Zoo's pair of giant otters came from originally.

They had some cubs that didn't survive in 2010, but a surviving pair (a male and female) in 2011. They are currently getting acclimated to the main exhibit.

There is a new 2012 litter with at least 3 pups. Someone here indicated that there are 5 pups.

The current giant otter exhibit is temporary. A permanent exhibit will open in 2013 as part of the Rainforest of the Americas complex.

3. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

The female came from Colombia, whilst the male "Rojo" was from Philadelphia's line

There were two 2010 litters at LA that didn't survive. Then there was the 2011 surviving pair, and five more pups were born this year. Two males are being mother reared, whilst the three others are in nursery care

4. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

The breeding female originally came from the Cali Zoo and the male came from the Philly Zoo.

I've heard that the 2012 litter is indeed 5 pups, with 2 being cared by the female.

EDIT: Zoogoer beat me to it...

5. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

For the record, where are the giant otters in North American zoos?

I know of Philadelphia, Dallas Aquarium, Los Angeles. Are there other institutions?

6. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Jacksonville, Zoo Miami, Moody Gardens

7. BjoernN

BjoernN Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If you are interested in the 2011 International Studbook, please send a Private Message....

Kind regards from Germany

8. loxodonta

loxodonta Well-Known Member

I know the the only breeding pair of otters not related to the Philly line are at DWA. Philly, Jax, Galveston, Miami, L.A., DWA are current facilities holding them with Palm Beach, Gladys Porter, Omaha and Columbus looking to display them in the near future.

9. FSBlue

FSBlue Well-Known Member

Jacksonville did receive a wild caught female from Guyana approximately a year ago. The male is part of the Philly line, but atleast there is hopefully SOME new blood into the population.

10. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Regarding Jacksonville, its the other way around.

11. loxodonta

loxodonta Well-Known Member

Gerenuk is right, other way