Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo Giant panda

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by pcpam68, 7 Jul 2013.

1. pcpam68

pcpam68 New Member

Does anyone remember there being a giant panda at the zoo probably in the 1970s

2. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If anyone does, I don't believe them.
    The only link I know between giant pandas and the west of England is that bamboo from Devon and/or Cornwall was provided for London's animals.

Alan

3. pcpam68

pcpam68 New Member

What about Paignton borrowing a panda possibly from London zoo for a period of time during the 1970s only I thought there was one there .

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Well if they had borrowed one then why is there no mention of it in any of the guidebooks,from that period I suspect its because it never happened!

5. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

Er, no. Three Giant Pandas lived at London during that decade. "Chi-Chi" had been at RP since 1958, and died there in 1972. "Chia Chia" and "Ching Ching" arrived in 1974, to my huge excitement, and lived there until 1988 (when Chia Chia went to Mexico City on breeding loan, where he was to die in 1993) and 1985 (died) respectively.

At no time did any of these animals live at any other UK zoo.

6. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Was Chi-Chi the first giant panda in England, Ian?

7. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

No five giant pandas, including the famous 'Ming', arrived at London Zoo on Christmas Eve 1938; one of these, 'Happy', ended up at St. Louis Zoo.

There was also another London Zoo giant panda before 'Chi-Chi', 'Lien-Ho', who arrived in 1946.

8. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks much, Tim.

9. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

when I was a young lad I had two toy pandas and one of them was called Chi Chi after the London Zoo one. The other one I called Pandamonium, which at the time I thought was incredibly clever and witty because I was only six.

10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There's a village somewhere down near Falmouth (or is it Lanivet near Bodmin?- I can't remember which exactly) which has a public house that has a very unusual pub sign- of a Giant Panda eating Bamboo. I've often wondered how/why it came to be there and whether there is any connection with the Village- Bamboo- London Pandas.

11. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

A quick Google reveals:

"Fresh new look for the popular Lanivet Inn
    Wednesday, June 25, 2008This is CornwallFollow
    A ST AUSTELL Brewery pub popular with locals and visitors is celebrating a fresh new look ahead of the busy summer season.

The Lanivet Inn has undergone a complete internal refurbishment which has retained the pub's traditional charm as well as giving it a new lighter and airy feel.

Some of the pub's internal partitions have been removed to create a more open plan feel and the inn's open fire remains in the main bar for the cooler evenings. New wood floors complement a complete internal redecoration and plush new fabrics on the seating finish off the pub's new look.

Delighted tenants Dee Masters and Trevor Hancock said the work had transformed the pub, which lies very much at the heart of the local community.

Dee said: “I'm really proud of the pub and everyone loves the improvements. We want the Lanivet Inn to continue attracting local customers and at the same time we look forward to giving a warm welcome to new customers and visitors.”

The Lanivet Inn has been operating as a pub since the 18th century and is one of the oldest in the St Austell Brewery estate having been bought by brewery founder Walter Hicks in 1893. The pub's sign, which features a panda in a bamboo grove, has been adopted for more than 70 years and celebrates when the village's local bamboo plantation supplied pandas at London Zoo."

12. Pertinax

Why didn't I do that( google it...:rolleyes:)

I always thought there had to be a connection;)- it was too much of a coincidence otherwise. Now I know for sure.:)

13. Pertinax

Paignton have never had a Giant Panda- 100%. You may be getting confused with Lesser or Red Pandas?

14. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Did they ever house Asiatic black bear? I'm sure (to a child at least) that would be easier to mistake for a giant panda than a red panda would?

15. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Not so far as any of the information I can unearth would suggest; the only bear species the zoo has ever held was Sun Bear in the 1940's.

16. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

After a quick check of ZTL I agree with you Dave, I was a bit busy earlier but now I've done my research... Even though you did it for me! :p
    That was my best suggestion, other than that I have no idea what could be possibly mistaken for a panda? :confused:

17. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Paignton Zoo Giant Panda

Of course they have never had a Giant Panda. However, I have an idea they had Polar and possibly Himalayan, back in the 60s. I'm sure I remember a reviewer complaining that the Polar Bear had no pool. If I find the source, I'll put it on here. Unfortunately, I can lay hands on all my old zoo guidebooks except the Paignton one.

18. Pertinax

Pretty sure they had Himalayan Black Bears- in the cages at the top of the Zoo along from the Monkey House and 'Drill Row' that also housed Big Cats. Was never aware of Polar Bear though.

19. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It wouldn't surprise me if they held Himalayan Black Bear back then, almost every zoo seems to have had them in the 60s/70s, even some very small zoos. ZTL is not always that accurate on former holdings, i've found loads of species missing from zoos i visited in the 70s, several of which have been added after comments made on here.

20. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

In one of his books (at least I think it was in a book) Clinton Keeling mentioned a rumour that Herbert Whitley had bred a Polar Bear before the war. Whether this alleged breeding was supposed to have happened before the zoo was originally opened to the public or during one of the periods it was closed due to the entertainment tax issue I do not know.