Join our zoo community

Giant Pandas around the World

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Jaxton, 2 Jan 2019.

Tags:
  1. Jaxton

Jaxton Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hi guys! I have been working on a project, I have been trying to make a list of Giant Pandas around the world. The list would include the pandas name, gender, birthdate, birth location, location, father, and mother. However I have been struggling on finding the fathers of some pandas, and where some of the younger pandas are located (born from 2014-now). So if anybody has any information on pandas, especially at the CCRCGP Bases, please post it!

2. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I believe there is already a website that has done that. Lemme have a look and see if I cant't find it.

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

It's probably this one: The Pandas | Panda News

I can't get it to load at the moment though. (EDIT: it does load, just really slowly for me).

Jaxton likes this.
  4. Jaxton

Jaxton Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yes, I have used this website, but I don't think it's been updated since 2012.

5. CDavies98

CDavies98 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Jambo likes this.
  6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Jaxton likes this.
  7. AmbikaFan

AmbikaFan Well-Known Member

The previous two sites are fantastic! Giantpandaglobal.com is so up-to-date that Bei Bei's listed at his new home in China, even though he just moved there this week! I was so happy to see that Shaun Shaun and Xin Xin are still alive and bring joy to Chapultapec visitors--at 33 or 34 and 28, respectively! Wow!I I believe they have been the only pandas in the world not owned by China for almost 20 years.

What strikes me on both sites--and I could spend days poring through the 2019 breeding possibilities--is how careful China has been not to duplicate names. Except for a few Le Le's and repeats of the Mexican panda's names (which presumably China no longer cares about since their breeding efforts have failed and they have now aged out of reproduction), there are very, very few duplicates. Now I understand why China always provided a list of four names to choose from for new cubs. When reading the breeding study, it's much easier to see that each panda is unique and its history/geneology well known to managers, so it totally makes sense why this would be necessary.. There are a couple of Le Le's. Does this mean something very special?