Join our zoo community

Giant Stork (L. crumeniferus x L. dubius) Hybrid???

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Sarus Crane, 15 Aug 2017.

1. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was researching the Leptoptilini storks, primarily the Adjutants (Leptoptilos species) and I came across a photo that was taken at Safari World in Bangkok, Thailand of what appears to be a gigantic hybrid of a Marabou Stork (Leptoptilos crumeniferus) & Greater Adjutant (Leptoptilos dubius). I've seen what both look like throughout various stages from chick to adult and I'm pretty sure this is a hybrid. Marabous have brown eyes while Greater Adjutants have blue eyes. The bird behind the giant hybrid is an adult Marabou. You can tell its an adult by its down feathers near the tail and if you look closely you can see it has no head feathers indicating its an adult. The hybrid looks very much like a Marabou with its body to leg length proportions, straight edged bill, and no grey on the wings. It seems like it retained its Greater Adjutant ancestry with its blue eyes and massive size. Given that when in a crouched position an adult Marabou Stork stands about 3.5 feet tall, I am VERY curious to know how big the hybrid is. When Marabous stand fully upright they are 4.5-5 ft tall. I'm guessing the hybrid has to be at least 6 ft when fully upright. That's about the size of the extinct Leptoptilos robustus which lived on the island of Flores with Homo florensis. Either way its a massive bird and its wingspan must be at least 10 feet. This photo was taken from inside a car as you cannot walk through the park.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At Safari World Bangkok, there is a small breeding colony of Greater Adjutants that shares space with Marabous. check out the video below. I think this is how a hybrid could have been created.
    Greater Adjutant (Leptoptilos dubius) A pair in a mixed colony, displaying and arranging the nest. | the Internet Bird Collection | HBW Alive

This video from YouTube shows how huge the Greater Adjutant is. I'm guessing standing fully upright it's about 6 ft tall. It's such a shame its endangered.

Last edited: 15 Aug 2017