Join our zoo community

Gibbon species in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan' started by RatioTile, 18 Nov 2019.

1. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

The gibbon species I've seen so far are white-handed, northern white-cheeked, yellow-cheeked, Müllers, and Siamang. Most of these are abundant in zoos, but I'm looking to see more species when I visit Japan. According to JAZA, Japan Monkey Centre apparently has agile, pileated, (and also white-handed) and Müllers, and Tokiwa Park Zoo has Bornean white-bearded (as well as white-handed). However, I'm not sure if these 2 institutions still have these species, especially since Bornean white-bearded gibbon is not listed on the Tokiwa Park Zoo website's map. Has anyone been to these zoos, and if so, do they have these more exotic gibbons?

My other concern is that I'm going to Japan in January, and I worry it may be too cold to display gibbons and other primates outdoors. Is this a valid concern? What animals have ZooChatters missed out in Japan in winter?

2. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

3. RatioTile

That's my thread. I'm just asking again for specific species.

4. FunkyGibbon

I know, I was jokingly pointing out that it's not really necessary to ask the same question in multiple threads, ie will animals be outside in the cold.

5. RatioTile

Yeah, my mom is seriously concerned we won't get to see anything. I'm so concerned that I'm going to call the zoos and ask what they display in winter.

6. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I have visit JMC in the summer (July 2018). I believe white-hand, siamang,pileated,Muller and Agile are present.(Photo have been upload to the gallery)

7. FunkyGibbon

I think it's worth pointing out that several commenters have now said that they saw the vast majority of species at the Japanese zoos they visited in winter, but I do understand your concern.

8. RatioTile

I called the 2 zoos listed as having Bornean white-bearded gibbon, and neither has it. So this species is sadly gone from both Europe and Japan.