Join our zoo community

Gibbons, Geladas, and Guenons Galore! -- Primates in North America

Discussion in 'North America - General' started by IndianRhino, 8 May 2022.

1. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Most SeaQuest locations don't have lemurs, because most states don't allow public interactions with primates. They aren't going to waste the space when they can use it for another species they could make more money off off.

2. TinoPup

Primates I saw late last year there:
    Olive baboon
    Lar gibbon
    Javan langur
    Ring-tailed lemur
    Black-handed spider monkey
    Squirrel monkey
    Siamang

3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

That makes sense, I had not thought about those kinds of restrictions.

TinoPup likes this.
  4. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Tanganyika Wildlife Park has the following:
    Lar Gibbon
    Siamang
    De Brazza's Monkey
    Mantled Guereza
    Night Monkey (species unknown)
    Red-backed Bearded Saki (off exhibit)
    Black Howler Monkey
    Black-and-White Ruffed Lemur

IndianRhino likes this.
  5. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So I see Primarily Primates inly listed for chimpanzees. They also hold the following species listed on their website (in the adoption/sponsorship page:

Japanese Macaque
    Patas monkey
    White-throated capuchin
    JapanesexJava hybrid macaque
    Pigtail macaque (can’t tell which species)
    HamadryasxOlive baboon hybris
    Common marmoset
    Tufted(?) capuchin
    Grivet
    Black-handed spider monkey
    Ring-tailed lemur
    Red ruffed lemur
    Black-and-white-ruffed lemur
    Brown (?) lemurs

6. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm pretty sure all captive Pig-tailed Macaques (at least in North America) are Southern.

SwampDonkey and PossumRoach like this.
  7. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Can someone identify this monkey. Thank you
    https://www.tregemboanimalpark.com/wp-content/gallery/photo-gallery/rapunzel-031.jpg

8. drill

drill Well-Known Member

I remember the species at Waccatee Zoo (also Ring-tailed lemur, Crab-eating macaque, Hamadryas baboon, probably others) and Popcorn Park Zoo. They are listed on the website of T and D's Cats of the World (PA) along with a number of other primate species.

9. drill

drill Well-Known Member

The USDA lists a place in OK with Taiwan macaque.

10. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

Abram's Animal Farm in Block Island, Rhode Island has ring-tailed lemurs

11. TinoPup

Popcorn hasn't had them in years.

12. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

So Animal Adventures's galago isn't O. garnettii, but rather O. crassicaudatus? Do you have a source confirming this? I was debating which species it is with some friends, and the staff there have no clue.

13. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What place?

14. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Great work on this thread @IndianRhino. This was one of the lists I thought was most glaringly missing from the forum; I did some work on it myself, but my list was mostly devoid of smaller private facilities and I doubt I would have put in the work to find them :p

One thing of note: I do think it's worth specifying whether animals are on-display or not. Whether you choose to still include them or not is up to you since it's your list, but some people might get the wrong idea by seeing them listed and show up to a zoo expecting to see a bts animal? Food for thought when you do an update someday.

This species was not on display during my November 2021 visit.

Fresno Chaffee Zoo held this species when I visited in March 2019.

This species was not on display during my December 2021 visit.

Does Brookfield no longer hold this species? I thought they had them in the former silverback side exhibit.

Charles Paddock Zoo has this species - just saw it last month.

The zoo appears to no longer display this species, or indeed any callitrichids.

When I visited two months ago the zoo only displayed Crested Capuchin.

This should be a question mark like with the Goeldi's Monkey I think - the animal is listed on USDA and on their website, but the path to where it most likely would be was blocked during my November 2021 visit and it's unclear to me whether that's a temporary or permanent arrangement (though I suppose someone could always contact them and ask).

IndianRhino likes this.
  15. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

16. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The mangabeys only had a brief stint in that exhibit before being sent elsewhere a few years ago. The old silverback exhibit is completely blocked off now.

Coelacanth18 likes this.
  17. Smaggledagle

IndianRhino likes this.
  18. Therabu

Therabu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

That is very interesting also for European zoochatters to know what is on the other side of the Atlantic.
    It is important to compare with European collections so that American collections from AZA which have more limited space can focus on the right populations.

Gibbons
    A transfer of the last pileated and Javan gibbon, or at least, some valuable individuals would be welcome for European populations that are bigger but on the edge of sustainability. On the other side, some golden-cheeked gibbons could be sent there if AZA decide they have sufficient space to house a fourth specie.

Guenons
    It is quite impressive how European and American are so well separated, with very little species held in sustainable numbers overlap. The only question opened would be the long-term sustainability of the AZA population of diana monkey. Even if it would be assessed as not sustainable, I do not know if it would be better to send remaining individuals to Europe or on the contrary send there a few individuals to enlarge the founder population.

Macaques
    I am surprised AZA zoos do not hold any sustainable population of one of the endangered Asian macaques. The largest, lion-tailed, seem to be managed as a phase-out specie while it is very numerous in Europe (and where other endangered species are also held in significant numbers).

Mangabeys and baboons
    Here again, it is astonishing how few zoos are housing some of the endangered taxons. Black crested mangabey would be the biggest program where cooperation between EAZA and AZA would make sense. For red-capped mangabey and drill, the only thing to do would be to send remaining unrelated individuals to EAZA that have much more specimens but would probably benefit from new bloodlines. Of course, gelada baboons can be sent again to USA but the specie is not assessed as endangered and should not be a priority in my opinion.
    Golden-bellied mangabeys were already transfered from USA to Europe, probably remaining individuals are related in some way and would not be a huge benefit.

Colobus and langurs
    Here, on the contrary, I would advocate that EAZA slowly phase out the Angolan colobus and transfer some valuable individuals to AZA and focus exclusively on the king colobus, more endangered and not present anywhere else.
    Dusky langurs will soon be gone from Europe but does not appear to be much more widespread in America. It would be simpler to concentrate Javan langurs in Europe but if AZA have space for them, why not ?

Callitrichids
    There is very few species of conservation interest in USA (pied tamarin, Goeldi's monkey and the two lion-tamarin).
    I do not know if it is a lack of breeding, interest from institutions or founders, but I would say that expanding the population of pied tamarin should be of highest concern for AZA, otherwise, individuals should be shipped to Europe not to loose their genetics.

Cebids
    Why there is so few robust capuchins ? Lack of interest or breeding ? I guess the tentative to build a captive population is now gone. That is really a shame, especially if the cause is that zoos have not shifted from more common species.
    With spider monkeys, it appears that the job have already been done by sending some valuable monkeys to European programs while AZA focus on fusciceps and geoffroyi. Maybe some individuals from dying EAZA populations could be of some use ?

Lemurs
    Aye-aye, blue-eyed lemur and recently, Coquerel's sifaka are now managed globally. European individuals of collared lemurs are not very numerous and would maybe have a better future in America. For AZA, the collection plan should definitely look like:
    -Aye-aye
    -Coquerel sifaka
    -Blue-eyed lemur
    -Collared lemur
    -Mongoose Lemur
    and of course the numerous ring-tailed and ruffed lemurs.
    The only question mark remaining are :
    -Is there enough space and genetic diversity into AZA to continue with crowned lemur ? EAZA have now quite a significative population
    -What is the taxonomic status of individuals labelled as red-fronted lemur in AZA and EAZA? If they're pure, it would make sense to try to gather them in one region and increase their population size for conservation purpose.

I will conclude that I am fully aware of the complexity and cost of cross-ocean transfers but currently, too much species are housed without a future in AZA because of the competition for space that comes from larger enclosures and higher populations numbers necessary to keep a sufficient genetic diversity in the long-term and for conservation purpose. If some of those animals may help another whole population with a few specific transfers, then it should be

19. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A transfer wouldn't be necessary as Javan Gibbons are managed internationally, and coordinated by the ZAA (Australasian one) for all institutions.

nczoofan and Therabu like this.
  20. Smaggledagle

Alameda Park Zoo has just announced they have acquired 4 vervet monkeys.

IndianRhino likes this.