Join our zoo community

Gifts for a zoo lover

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by fishfanatic, 26 Sep 2021.

1. fishfanatic

fishfanatic New Member

Hello everyone, my boyfriend absolutely adores zoos and wildlife parks and turns 17 soon (October 18th) and I know I've heard him talk about this website before so wondered if it would be helpful in order to find out some gift ideas? Thankyou all in advance

Julio C Castro and Zooplantman like this.
  2. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

You could consider a keeper experience, though they can be expensive.
    A trip to a zoo, especially to a zoo that's on his bucket list.
    A zoo related book, there is a thread about new zoo books on this site, you could look at that
    A poster, there are lots of reproductions of vintage zoo posters and a few genuine old zoo posters around.
    A membership to the Independent Zoo Enthusiast Society.
    Personal, as a zoo enthusiast I just enjoy being in a zoo.

3. fishfanatic

fishfanatic New Member

Thank you

4. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Or visit the websites for some of his favorite zoos and order t-shirts or other branded items for their on-line gift shops

5. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

Welcome to Zoochat, it’s very sweet and loving of you want to do this for your bf and much respect from my behalf :) Definitely would consider a keeper experience or behind the scenes tour as mentioned by @Ned, I did that for my gf. When my gf travelled to visit me here in California, her bucket list item was definitely to visit the San Diego Zoo. And knowing she was a cat fanatic, we did BTS tour all about cats so maybe see if a zoo of his or one that he wants go to has a tour regarding his favorite animal(s). It was a highlight for us both honestly and seeing my partner so happy makes it all worth it!

And if you can’t make it happen as we all know these things can be costly, I did fortunately save for it a bit ahead schedule. Maybe a surprise trip to his favorite zoo and enjoy a nice lunch together, perhaps prepared at home or bought from a restaurant he loves. Hopefully they do allow outside foods in with you at his favorite zoo so maybe give a shot or look it up on the zoos website :) best of luck!

6. JT

JT Well-Known Member

My family adopted the two toed sloths at Chester on my behalf last year meaning I get the magazines and posters and things. My girlfriend also adopted orangutans with the WWF which you might want to consider aswell. :)

7. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Lots of good suggestions above. But by posting his birthday and age aren't you afraid he will see this thread and figure out it's about him? ;)

Since you seem to be in UK, a good option might be a tour of The Big Cat Sanctuary which is normally closed to the public and only open by appointment on certain tour days. I did one of their photo tours a few years back and loved it, but then again I am a cat fanatic. The photo tours are expensive but maybe the regular tours are more reasonable?

As others said there are a ton of good books out there, if he likes to read and you can find one he doesn't already have. If he wants to dream about a future trip to my country, you can't go better than this book (which ironically is produced in UK): America's Top 100 Zoos & Aquariums (izes.co.uk)

Van Beal likes this.