Join our zoo community

giraffe studbook

Discussion in 'Australia' started by jay, 19 Jul 2006.

1. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Hi everyone
    I'm in the process of creating a thorough studbook for giraffes in the region. Thank you to zuki-pah for all the info he has been able to give me re the dubbo herd. I was wondering if there was someione out there who has information about the herd at Monarto. I have been able to compile copies of newspaper articles dating from 1998 but they only give incomplete details (sometimes wrong info as well). If you could get in tocuh with me that would be greatly appreciated. And I intend to post the final results on here somewhere.

thanks
    Jason

2. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

i was under the impression that until the arrival of the rothschilds into the region (early 90's?) - that ALL the giraffes in australia originated from just a pair (or trio) of founders that sir edward hallstrom imported?

3. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

Jay, if you are from an ARAZPA member institution, I'm sure you'll find they have a regional studbook for giraffes readily available on their web site. No point reinventing the wheel, especially not with second-hand information.

4. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

i will find out from all me old records for you jay

5. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was at Monarto about a month ago and the giraffes are breeding well there. There were two very young calves. As the bus was going through their paddock something scared one of the calves, I presume it was a noise made making the new viewing platform and it bolted with the whole heard following down the hill right past the front of the bus. They where the most spectacular animals I saw there as they passed the bus flat out, the big ones seemed in slow motion.

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanx mate,

Is the studbook available to non zoo personnel? Anyhow, I only know of an Ozzie Rothschildt's listing on the angelfire website, if you are interested! So, if the studbook is for all to view, the merrier.

Jelle

7. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I think since ARAZPA manages the regional giraffe population on behalf of it's members, I think the studbook is only available to staff of ARAZPA institutions, who are also ISIS members. ISIS membership is required for you to have access to SPARKS, the studbook generating software.

8. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Zoo pro

that is why I cannot access it. i am not connected to any zoo. I once asked ARAZPA about getting access and they informed me that they had no problems with me douing so but I would need the very expensive software from ISIS to do so. Unfortunately I cannot justify the expense (though I would LOVE to eb able to view the entire worlds zoos studbooks.

Jay

9. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Auckland Zoo giraffes

Did I send you the book of the history of Auckland Zoo ?
    That will be the best source of history of that zoo . The zoo had , until relatively recently , no end of problems with breeding giraffes .
    Recent times had proven alot more successful