Join our zoo community

Giraffes in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Zoofan15, 21 Apr 2017.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

All the giraffes in Australia descend from four animals at Taronga (a pair imported from Africa in the 1930s, a female from the USA in 1950, and a male from Honolulu in 1983 which was related to the 1950 female), one female Rothschild's at Melbourne (from Ouwehands in 1997), and since the 1990s additional imports from New Zealand (from the Orana and Auckland stocks).

Zoofan15 likes this.
  2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I believe this was Mandy:

Tafin likes this.
  3. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Three of the Taronga founders were:

0.1 Mighty (born 1933 in Tanzania) - purebred Masai Giraffe (G. c. tippelskirchi).

1.0 Jan Smuts (born 1943 at Johannesburg Zoo) - purebred South African (Giraffe G. c. giraffe).

0.1 Clara (born 1950 at the Smithsonian National Zoo) - purebred Nubian Giraffe (G. c. camelopardalis).

Jan Smuts and these two females subsequently produced many hybrid offspring and therefore all descendants of these offspring are also hybrids:

- Jan Smuts and Mighty bred to produce a female named Betty; Jan Smuts then bred with his daughter Betty to produce Hazel; Jan Smuts then bred with his granddaughter Hazel to produce Willoughby (sent to Auckland Zoo); Jan Smuts then bred with his great granddaughter Willoughby to produce two calves. Therefore Jan Smuts was Willoughby’s father, grandfather and great grandfather.

- Ricky and Tisa (Wellington Zoo's last breeding pair) both descended from Jan Smuts and Clara.

Tafin and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Dear @Chlidonias, we speak the same language here. I am not contesting your findings, I just only checked by way of denoted (sub-)species assignments and in the ole NA AZA/SSP studbooks the 1994 born Chicago LP male is assigned to reticulata/rothschildi and ye take your pick from there. To me, that should signal generic or hybrid. Truthfully, I am far from happy with that and truly find this IMHO to be somewhat lacklustre record-keeping. I just fail to understand how in Europe EAZA/EEP can clearly define their current breeding stocks to founders and imported individuals with general locations thanks to their meticulous record-keeping versus the AZA/SSP which seems unable to even begin to weed out the unknowns and trace back their stock to founders (even if this would be only by photographic evidence on import - these records should exist with individual zoos).

Having said that: I will take your observation on board that Zuri / Harold was from a different import (this is certainly interesting and it is very frustrating that they just use the reticulata / rothschildi tag if clearly he is a rothschilde pure-bred (that can be traced to wild founders).

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

They pretty much apply that to almost every North American giraffe in the studbook. However I just went and checked the parents and indeed that male was a hybrid, so where-ever I originally got the info that he was from the unrelated import was incorrect.