Join our zoo community

giraffes in New Zealand

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by nicola08, 3 Jul 2009.

1. Connor91

Connor91 Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,

I found out that Auckland Zoo imported a female named Kinshasa in 1980 from Honolulu Zoo. She arrived with males Tsavo and Lo Cecil. Lo Cecil died in 1983.

Kinshasa had Kiri in 1984 (father Kahiroa) and Kay in 1986 (father Tsavo), anyone know if she had any other calves?

I also know they importhed another female in 1983, anyone know if this was Manyara?

2. Jalur_Tiger_Cub

Jalur_Tiger_Cub Well-Known Member

I have heard Auckland is supposed to be importing a new female to add the the numbers soon. I dont know when or where from I just heard they are going to.

3. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As posted elsewhere she will be coming from Monarto Zoo (South Australia) later this year.

4. Jalur_Tiger_Cub

Oh yes i just saw that sorry. The new calf's name is Jelani (meaning "mighty" in Swahili).

5. jones

jones Well-Known Member

-Manyara (f) was imported from Honolulu Zoo 19/04/83 (she shares the same mother as Kinshasa)
    -Kinshasa (f) shares the same father as Tsavo (m)
    -Tsavo's mother "Cairo" (f) is also the mother of Taronga's now deceased male "Charity" and "Andria" (f) who lives at Taronga Western Plains (and is now a great-grandmother herself).

Kinshasa's first two calves were Kiri and Kay - and they were the only calves she had that survived more than a few days. She also had:
    No-Name (f) born and died in 1988
    No-Name (m) born and died in 1990
    No-Name (f) born and died in 1991
    No-Name (m) born and died in 1992
    all four calves were fathered by Tsavo.

Manyara had 4 (3.1.0) calves to Tsavo, none of which are alive today, nor have any decendents... i dont think...

Hope that helps

6. Connor91

Thanks for the info, do you know how long Manyara's calves survived for? I'm surprised Tsavo and Kinshasa were bred considering they were half siblings. Perhaps that's why so many of the offspring died?

Do you know if Kay had any offspring prior to Zabulu arriving in 1999. I heard she had a male claf in 1991 but not too sure?

7. jones

jones Well-Known Member

I dont think thats the reason they didn't survive...
    Manyara had:
    -"Miombo" (F) born in 1989 and lived for 11 months
    -Twin boys in 1990, one died the same day it was born, the other "Mussa" a few days later.
    -"Manuel" (m) born in 91 and died in 94.

Kay's offspring prior to Zabulu:
    -"Kampala" (m) born 1991 - transferred the same yr to Hamilton
    -"Oskar" (m) born 1994 - transferred the same yr to Werribee
    (both sired by 'Tsavo', her father)

Kiri's offspring prior to Zabulu:
    -"Kenjo" (m) born 1989, survived for 6mnths
    -"Khan" (m) born 1990, trans 1991 to Hamiloton
    -"Kendall" (f) born 1992, deceaesed 1994
    (all sired by Tsavo)

8. Connor91

That's strange, Kay's first two calves were very inbred yet they survived whereas Kinshasa and Kiri's calves mostly died.

13 calves were born at Auckland Zoo in 6 years, that's a lot yet only 3 survived to adulthood! How did they keep killing them off?

I'm glad they've got it right now!

9. jones

jones Well-Known Member

hmmm, dont think that it is right in saying that they were "killing them off" - some individuals are poor breeders (in any species) for whatever reasons... ill say that the zoo would have been doing everything in their power to ensure successful births.

That is not a high level of inbreeding -

10. Jalur_Tiger_Cub

I feel thats an astonishing amount of inbreeding. im not at all surprised so many calves did not survive. its a shame. oh well at least that sort of thing isnt allowed anymore

11. Connor91

I completely agree, breeding Kay (whose parents shared the same father) to her father is ridiculous!

I'm sure Auckland Zoo didn't intentonally kill anything off but to lose 10 calves in 6 years deserves an inquiry! Compare this to the current success of the zoo where both Kiri and Kay went on to produce 5 calves between them (all of which survived).

12. lionboy

lionboy Well-Known Member

when and how did kinshasa tisevo and manyara die and did manyara ever breed

13. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

As far as I know Manyara had no surviving offspring

14. lionboy

wonder why any way do u no hoe kinshas tsevo and manyara died

15. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

Tsavo died in 1993, Kinshasa died in 1999 and Manyara died in 2000. I'm not sure of the exact causes but a student conducted a study on their mortality which is on the website: BioOne Online Journals - MORTALITY OF CAPTIVE GIRAFFE (GIRAFFA CAMELOPARDALIS) ASSOCIATED WITH SEROUS FAT ATROPHY: A REVIEW OF FIVE CASES AT AUCKLAND ZOO

Manyara produced five calves including twins in 1990 but none of them survived past a few days old. Kinshasa, after her initial success in producing Kiri (1984) and Kay (1986) lost her next four calves.

This is only my personal opinion and should be in no way interpreted as fact but: Tsavo was the father to all nine calves that died at birth, he was the half brother of Kinshasa and Manyara. The only two calves that survived were Kiri and Kay. Kiri was fathered by Kahiroa (an unrelated male) and I strongly believe Kay was also. Since the calves that died at birth were inbred it is strongly possible there was a genetic reason (such as a inherited medical condition) for why they died at birth.

16. lionboy

wow really intresting i wonder why thay all died

17. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

I was told by a keeper that Manyara died of a heart attack but i'm not sure about Kinshasa and Tsavo. Tsavo was quite young (13yrs) when he died and there was concern at the time about the accomadation he was in. He was being kept separate from the females to prevent further inbreeding.

18. lionboy

oh intresting yeath i think u r right i dont think thay needed any more imbreeding

19. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

Absolutely, they're currently expecting another female from Monarto Zoo but they've been waiting over a year now so I'm not sure what's keeping her. I look forward to her arrival. :)

20. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Any clues at to what the future holds for Jelani? (move to Hamilton, export to Oz etc?)