Join our zoo community

giraffes in New Zealand

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by nicola08, 3 Jul 2009.

1. lionboy

lionboy Well-Known Member

and do u no what the female is called

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

my information from Monarto is that the transfer of the female to Auckland was cancelled a long time ago, so there will be no new giraffe (at least from that source) for the foreseeable future

3. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

Hamilton Zoo are relatively full with six bull giraffes so a move to Australia is looking mostly likely, Australia Zoo would be the most likely destination.

4. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I think the spare males, i.e. those not needed for breeding, go to form bachelor herds, this was initially at Hamilton, but now that that is full, they go to 'Keystone Wildlife Conservancy' or something like that, up north of Auckland. Its basically a rich mans farm, and he likes giraffes I guess. He currently has 3.0 giraffe and 2.0 zebra. This is a very private farm, but you can sometimes see the giraffe from the road.

5. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

They already have 1:1 inlcuding Jelani's brother, Forrest. Two bulls with a cow would fight once they both became mature

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

those three giraffe came from Orana Park in 2006 and 2008 (not sure about the zebra off the top of my head). Keystone is a full ZAA (=ARAZPA) member and it provides a valuable service to the region as a holder of excess stock.

The owner has also looked at importing hoofstock into NZ. There's a 2007 ERMA application which appears to no longer be available online but said "Keystone Wildlife Conservancy wishes to import Zebra, White rhinoceros, Springbok, Scimitar Oryx, Blackbuck, Bongo, Sitatunga, Nilgai, Sable Antelope and Waterbuck into containment for the purpose of conservation through advocacy, education and research". There was also an application from Keystone to import giraffe into the country. I'm not sure what happened because obviously nothing further arose.

Tafin likes this.
  7. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

I wonder if he gave support ($$$?) for the importation of some of these species to Orana Park, who were/are leading the antelope importation charge, in exchange for the male giraffe? On the ZAA census, Keystone is listed as wanting to also acquire some primates, red panda and nyala, as well as more zebra and giraffe, and it is only listing for managed species, (not any of the species (except zebra) from the 2007 list above), suggesting (to me at least), he wants to work closely with ZAA, possibly in a role beyond housing spare males. I am a bit surprised though, that a guy who spends much of his time out of the country, with many other hobbies, who appeared initially to just want a few large exotics scattered on his hills, has put so much time and effort into this.

Is there any updates on the antelope importation programme?

8. lionboy

i just sent auckland zoo a message on face book and thay saied thay r getting a female girafe from western planes zoo in june this year

cheek auckland zoos face book page

9. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

That's good news, how old is she?

10. lionboy

i have been trying to work out the 29 girafes born at the zoo
    there was
    kahior
    kay
    kurrie
    no name
    no name
    no name
    no name
    twins
    kampala
    oskar
    kenjo
    khan
    kendallie
    miombo
    manule
    masamba
    jabarie
    ndalie
    dumaie
    no name
    forest
    nitomby
    jelannie
    i have listed 23 girafes does any one bo the other 6

11. lionboy

sorry didint **** the twins so there are 24 in there does any 1 no the other 5

12. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

There was also Peter, Joanne, their unamed brother (all born in the 1960s) then Kahiroa's sibling which died at six months.

Last edited: 11 Apr 2011
  13. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

Aside from Kinshasa's six calves there was also Manyara's four born 1989, 1990 and 1991. Kay's two born 1991 and 1994 and Kiri's three born 1989, 1990 and 1992.

The 29 are as follows: Peter, Joanne, unnamed male, Kahiroa, unnamed male, Kiri, Kay, unnamed four born to Kinshasa, four born to Manyara, Kenjo, Khan and Kendalli, Kampala and Oskar. That's 20.

Then with the arrival of Zabulu there has been: Masamba and Jabari (2002), Ndale (2004), Dume (2006), unnamed male (2006), Ntombe (2007), Forrest (2007), Jelani (2010). That's 28, we're still missing one!

Also, which one was Miombo Lion Boy?

14. lionboy

manyara had her in 1989

15. Axl

Axl Well-Known Member

All good, I'm still mystified which one we're missing?

16. Jalur_Tiger_Cub

Jalur_Tiger_Cub Well-Known Member

All I know is that in June of this year Jelani will be moving to Orana Park and 1 female will be coming from somewhere in Australia, im guessing that is the one from Western Plains.

17. lionboy

yeath your right a female is coming from werstern planes zoo in junewhere did u find out about jelannie

18. lionboy

and where is harold orannas origanal male going to go when jelannie goes to oranna

19. Jalur_Tiger_Cub

Jalur_Tiger_Cub Well-Known Member

Im not sure what is happening about any other giraffes already at Orana but I found out about Jelani from a Zoo Volunteers species list.

20. lionboy

i just asked auckland zoo and thay saied he is not going to oranna at this presant time