Join our zoo community

Going to the Zoo in Different Kinds of Weather

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by ZooElephantMan, 4 Sep 2021.

1. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I used to go to the zoo in any weather mainly because I kept reading how many more opportunities there were to photograph animals behaving differently. I have to say though, I never really enjoyed those days, as I didn't really get any unique photos and I generally don't like driving in bad weather. If I lived within a short distance of a zoo, that didn't have difficult wire fences to shoot through, or glazed viewing windows to the falling rain then I imagine it would be better and it would be easier to get unique shots as I'd be able to visit more often.
    If I go to a zoo on a sunny day, I generally enjoy the day out more than grey/wet days, but I would love to get better photos of animals in the snow.

Grizzly Hound likes this.
  2. RetiredToTheZoo

RetiredToTheZoo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I enjoy going in the fall/late summer when the first strong cold front moves thru, and in the late winter/early spring when the first warm sunny day happens. All the animals are just so much more active with the weather changes.

I was at the Little Rock Zoo once in early December when it began to snow lightly. The animals were loving it and so was I, but the administration closed the zoo and got everyone out as fast as they could even though the ground was way too warm for it to stick. It didn't amount to much. Everyone just totally freaks out around here with just the forecast of snow flurries.

Grizzly Hound likes this.
  3. Grizzly Hound

Grizzly Hound Well-Known Member

I enjoy going to zoos in late spring and early fall. The cooler temperatures I like but I hate hot summer days, especially when it’s almost like 90F. I cannot stand hot and humid temperatures. I like going to zoos on sunny days, Idk I just prefer that. But someday I would like to experience a winter visit.