Join our zoo community

Dublin Zoo golden snub nosed monkey

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by dublinlion, 8 Dec 2011.

1. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

does anyone else remember seeing the golden snub nosed monkeys when they were in dublin zoo. it was in the 80s after they had the giant pandas and koalas, again on some sort of short term loan. it was a long time ago but i remember that they were much bigger than i had imagined and not very golden but amazing nonetheless. does any european or american zoo have any of these or the other snub noses?

2. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Have you got any pictures of the panda + koala and any infomation of the Koala? Thanks:)

3. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The San Francisco Zoo had the golden snub-nosed monkeys on exhibit in 1985 and the San Diego Zoo had them for several years in the 1980s (not sure when they left, but I saw them in 1988 and they had been there for a few years already). The Los Angeles Zoo was supposed to get them in 2009 and have them now. An exhibit was built and the loan fell through supposedly due to political problems between the U.S. and Chinese government over totally unrelated political issues. I am not aware of any golden snub-nosed monkeys in North America at this time and given LA Zoo's experience, I would be surprised if there are any in the foreseeable future (this is all speculation on my part).

4. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There are no snub-nosed monkeys of any type outside of Asia. As far as I know they are only in zoos in countries within their range and in Japan, but their could be a few in other Asian countries...

5. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Outside of China, I believe only zoos in Japan and South Korea have snub-nosed monkeys on display, and only R.roxallana.

That said, some 'unknown' zoo(s) in Indochina might hold Tonkin snub-nosed monkeys.

6. dublinlion

it was about 20 years ago so my memories are a bid vague and there was no digital cameras then so any photos would be old fashioned types. having said that i will look through my old photos and see whats there and try to scan them for pc display.

7. dublinlion

thanks for the replies david and jwer, its a shame that such amazing animals are not ever seen in western zoos as they are so exotic and mysterious. when dublin displayed the pandas, koalas and golden monkeys it was the latter that had the biggest impact on me as i was not even aware that any monkeys originated in china at that time.

@zooish. do singapore not have any?

8. Rupicola

Rupicola Active Member

I know Rotterdam had plans to keep snub-nosed monkeys a few years ago! I don't know if they still wan't them. They have a good relation with a chinese zoo I think!

9. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

10. Zooish

Nope. Singapore had 2 short-term loan displays of the monkeys, in the 80s and 90s. Each time a pair of monkeys stayed for about a year.

I think Singapore is interested in getting them, though they're obviously proving hard to get - there are way more pandas outside China than golden monkeys. The monkeys probably cost too much and don't draw as many people as pandas to be cost-sustainable.

11. Zooish

Any idea if the Zoorasia ones had died or were returned to China?

12. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think that would be Shanghai Zoo. Some years back they sent a trio of Gorillas(not all of them came originally from Rotterdam) to Shanghai and there was a big outcry, particularly from Berliners, as one of them was the favourite male Bokito who had been born in Berlin Zoo and they would be going to a Chinese zoo that still had 'trained' animal acts and poor conditions for some other species. The transfer went ahead anyway, although with the public pressure, the male Bokito was kept back and a different male (Dango) went instead. I think Rotterdam were to get Snub-nosed Monkeys at least partially as a result of this- but it did not happen- reason unknown.

13. Shirokuma

I recall reading somewhere that they were returned to China in 2009.

14. dublinlion

are the snub nosed monkeys exclusive to chinese territory or are they found in any adjoining countries such as nepal or bhutan. are there other animals found only in china?

15. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

Wouldn't Singapore be a bit warm for them, at any rate outdoors?

16. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would imagine the keeping of them in a tropical climate would have similar difficulties to keeping tropical Langurs like Doucs, and also Proboscis monkeys in the European climate.

17. Shirokuma

The Tonkin snub-nosed monkey lives in Vietnam and another recently identified lives in Burma.

Although the areas where they have been held in captivity in China, Japan and Korea have essentially tropical climates in the summer with high temperatures and high humididity.

18. Shirokuma

Sorry for double posting but I have been doing some research and Kumamoto Zoo in south-western Japan is now the only Japanese Zoo with golden snub-nosed monkeys.

Kumamoto Zoo website

19. Zooish

Yes it would be. The monkeys displayed in the past were housed in an indoor enclosure with 2 sections: one fully enclosed and air-conditioned, the other with meshed sides and ventilated with fans.

20. Zooish

Thanks for the update. I'm surprised that no zoo in greater China (Hong Kong, Taiwan) displays them. Their husbandry isn't particularly demanding and their plant diet is no harder to cultivate than bamboo or eucalyptus.