Join our zoo community

Gomphothere's Zoo Design Thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by Gomphothere, 12 Feb 2015.

1. Gomphothere

Gomphothere Well-Known Member

My real job, LOL, and then the holidays intervened for a while. Am back to work on Temperate South America. It is a bit bigger project than the others: (1) an aquarium with 15 marine ecoregions plus two dozen sea/shore bird species and the Marine Otter; (2) terrestrial exhibits that involve 7 wide ranging (across multiple ecoregions) birds of prey and 4 wide ranging mammalian predators; and (3) eight terrestrial ecoregions, with approximately two dozen different habitats, displaying about 475 additional species of birds, mammals, reptiles and amphibians. It's not quite as huge as it sounds, since over 100 of those species are Passerine birds, about another 100 are small lizards endemic to the area, most a group known as Liolaemids, often called "tree iguanas" in English (but that's a misleading name), almost 60 are rodents (most small, such as mice, rats and tuco-tucos, but a few large), and about 50 are species of frogs and toads. It's been a challenge finding out the information I'd like to have for each species to design appropriate exhibits since I can't read Spanish and many of the lizard and rodent species have very little information about them available in English beyond their name and a brief description of their physical appearance and habitat.

2. zooboyabroad

zooboyabroad Well-Known Member

Very happy to hear that you're back Gompothere. Can't wait for your next project.

3. PastorOfMuppets

PastorOfMuppets Member

I really think that, once you're done with this amazing conceptual design, you should get in touch with the guy who runs IdealBuildout.com to have a map put together.

Love everything about this project, and I really hope to see more in the future. Stunning work.

4. Gomphothere

Gomphothere Well-Known Member

Thanks.

I wish I had the skills to do this stuff on a computer. I downloaded sketchup and started trying to learn it using the tutorials on youtube, but quickly got very, very frustrated with the slow progress and somewhat un-intuitive nature of CAD, and gave up. One challenge is that zoo design needs both standard architecture and landscape architecture and, other than sketchup, which is not very fancy in its output, the other programs that might work are way too expensive to indulge in for a spare time hobby.

One of my pet projects if I win the lottery is to hire some wiz kid to use CAD to convert my work, LOL.

5. Cat-Man

Cat-Man Well-Known Member

How is it coming along? :)

6. PastorOfMuppets

PastorOfMuppets Member

Cooome baaaaack!!!!

7. Jeremy vacca

Jeremy vacca New Member

Gompothere, do you intend to continue