Join our zoo community

Gondwana Rainforest/Southbank Wildlife Sanctuary

Discussion in 'Australia' started by gerenuk, 26 Apr 2015.

1. gerenuk

gerenuk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does anyone have any memories or photos of this Brisbane animal attraction?

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gondwana_Rainforest_Sanctuary]Gondwana Rainforest Sanctuary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

2. FriendOfTheZoo

FriendOfTheZoo Well-Known Member

I remember going there, but honestly cannot remember what was in there, nor did we ever take pics.

3. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member

was that the place in/on Brisbane's Southbank? I remember reading an article about it in a bird keeping magazine, I seem to remember it was all native animals with a friendly Black cockatoo. As I recall, it was built for the Expo88

4. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I did visit when it was open. I remember it had a varied collection of birds, small mammals and reptiles but the only species I can definitely remember was Leadbeaters possum, as well as a hologram of a thylacine. I believe there was also an off-site breeding establishment to keep the aviary well stocked. I believe the enterprise exhausted the financial resources of the builders, and soon after it opened it went into receivership. I believe there was a positive cash flow so the receivers continued to operate till the value of the land increased to make redevelopment the most attractive financial option.

5. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

when the new south bank complex opened there was Gondwana land on one end and a butterfly house at the other. Both were in my opinion excellent and both closed down as South Bank gradually lost most of what made the place interesting. IThough I live in Brisbane I haven't been in some years as it is really rather boring