Join our zoo community

Good Bad weather zoos in the UK

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by IceQueen, 24 Sep 2012.

1. IceQueen

IceQueen Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi all,

We wanna visit the UK for a few days in october and visit some zoos. But you never know what the weather will be like by then, so the question is: Are there any good zoos in the UK who are worth visiting even when it's pouring down? Zoos with some animalhouses, tropical houses etc.
    We've already been to Chester and Colchester and we don't wanna go to the Bristol/Paignton corner, cause we wanna save that bit of England for when we can go for a week.

Thnx for helping out!

2. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Well given the ones you have ruled out and that you have already visited,the only one that to me fits the bill is London Zoo.

3. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Surely, in Britain you never know what the weather's going to be like - October, April or August!

4. IceQueen

That's true, but it would be nice to have some back up, just in case it's really awfull. We had a very rainy visit to Cotswold, which was really a shame, cause otherwise it would have been a great visit.

New approach: how about any aquaria's, reptilehouses or other small zoos like that worth visiting? Say, somewhere between Dover and Chester, cause Chester is a very big option to do again, we love it, but it would ben nice to see some new things as well.

5. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

The only aquariums that I would recommend doing are Hull the Deep,National Marine Aquarium Plymouth and Blue Planet Aquarium near Chester Zoo.As for Reptile collections about the only place that would fit that bill in the UK of Crocodiles of the World near Witney.

6. IceQueen

Thnx, I'm gonna look in to those! :)

7. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I'd recommend the Blue Planet Aquarium to anyone who isn't a real fishy person, otherwise you can see the whole thing in a couple of hours and it's really expensive. If you're in that neck of the woods, far better to buy a brolly and walk around Chester Zoo instead.

8. IceQueen

No worries, when we do decide to drive up to Chester there is absolutely no way we will not visit the zoo! ;)