Join our zoo community

Good threads for beginners

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by Pandamich, 26 Feb 2022.

1. Pandamich

Pandamich Well-Known Member

Not sure where to put this, or if this has been done before, but I thought here would be the best spot. Fairly new here to. I've made one thread so far (One animal that would improve a collection), but I can't decide on what to do next. My question is, basically, what threads on ZooChat would be best for beginners like me? Thanks in advance.

2. OstrichMania

OstrichMania Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd say a good way to do it is to read the threads that have been nominated (or won, obviously!) for Thread of the Year over the years. They're basically the best that ZooChat offers for all those years, and they are all worth a read.
    Thread Of The Year 2017: Voting
    Thread of the Year 2018: The Vote
    Thread of the Year 2019: The Vote
    Thread of the Year 2020: The Vote
    Thread of the Year 2021: The Vote
    Besides those threads, for threads released this year, there are already a lot of very good threads being made. I'll link some here that I personally enjoy.
    Europe's 100 must see exhibits
    America's 50 Must See Zoos
    A Guidebook Library: TLD's year-long randomised walkthrough of zoo guides
    A Guide to Europe's Zoos
    I also recommend the photographic guide collection as well, but that's more of a personal preference than anything else really. If you want to participate in a thread, I'd suggest that the easiest way to do that is to join challenges (I'd recommend the ZooChat Challenge if you can make it to zoos semi-often or the Big Year threads if you are into wildlife-watching), post news about your local zoo or any other zoos that interest you and anything else that interests you. Of course, this is all just my opinion, so take this with a grain of salt. There are of course other amazing threads on the website, which I am sure other zoochatters will make aware to you.

3. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

Even as a not-so-new member, I enjoy browsing through different sections of ZC, you may find something you enjoy to read :)

4. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Welcome to the site first of all, great to have you.
    In general it is probably best not to force anything - if you have an idea for a thread that you think would add something and hasn't been done before, go for it! If not, don't just start new threads for the sake of it, the inspiration will come to you as you spend more time on the site. In the meantime, general perusal of the various news threads on your favourite zoos as well as finding out about zoos across the continent and more widely in Europe and Asia in particular will help to expand your knowledge and will help for thread inspiration. Hope this helps.