Join our zoo community

Good Zoo Websites

Discussion in 'Websites about Zoos & Animal Conservation' started by Neil chace, 25 Jan 2019.

1. Neil chace

Neil chace Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It always drives me insane when a zoo website either has no animal list or a very incomplete animal list. I get it if a specific bird species is forgotten, but it is unacceptable in my mind to leave large portions of the collection off the site. What do other people feel belong on a zoo's website?

2. CarLover

CarLover Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I agree. The Columbus Zoo, Bronx Zoo and Staten Island Zoo have terrible websites. The Philadelphia Zoo's website is okay. The Smithsonian and the Maryland Zoo have good websites though.

evilmonkey239 and Mbwamwitu like this.
  3. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

almost all zoos do a poor job of updating their species lists. I don't know if I have ever seen one that is inclusive of every species, unless it was a small zoo. Most zoos also do a poor job of announcing births. Very hit and miss.

4. Neil chace

Central park zoo has the worst website I have seen. There is total disregard for the bird and reptile collectiona- except for the penguins. They have an impressive collection for a 6acre zoo but tge website does not show it. Personally, if a few small species are missed by mistake I do not care but it is when there is intentional skips for large portions of the collection.

evilmonkey239, Mbwamwitu and CarLover like this.
  5. CarLover

CarLover Well-Known Member 5+ year member

All the New York City zoo websites are garbage, including the Bronx, Prospect Park, Queens, and Aquarium

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  6. Neil chace

Buttonwood park zoo-has what is probably the best zoo website I have seen, and Roger Williams Park Zoo also has a nice one. Both are about 95% accurate to the species held there- and are both also appealing to non-zoochatters.

7. Black Footed Beast

Black Footed Beast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Both Lincoln Park and Brookfield should talk about their entire collection, but on the other side for the collection is Racine and Milwaukee

8. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

At least all the zoos listed here have websites! Wisconsin Rapids Municipal Zoo doesn't even have one.

9. birdsandbats

Amazingly, it doesn't have social media, either.

10. birdsandbats

These are the worst zoo websites ever:

Home
    (I was going to put a link to Animal Haven Zoo's website as well, but it appears to no longer exist).

11. Ann Esther Sprizzo

Ann Esther Sprizzo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I agree with much of what you have said. Even worse than incomplete or unavailable updates on zoo websites I have also experienced radio silence in response to very specific questions that I have sent to contact emails. My local zoo is the Staten Island Zoo and they post more updates on FB than in their website perhaps because they feel they reach more people that way. For people like me that don’t leverage FB that much it isn’t.

12. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

14. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yeah, they both used to have better lists ten or so years ago, probably more in Brookfield's cases, though never fully exhaustive. I would say on the whole, imo, it's looked to me from my small sampling size that zoo websites have mostly been 'dumbing down' their species listings to reduce confusion for the common zoogoer, at the cost of the dedicated zoofan.

The general direction of the internet in recent years has been less and less focus on text and more on more on imagery, combined with a continued emphasis on branding information over the more technical/hobbyist presentation that provided the foundation for today's internet. Make a few small pages for the animals that might encourage guests to visit the zoo, not several pages to cover a wide variety of present species. You ultimately have fewer websites catering to a much larger userbase, with specialty sites disappearing rapidly as hosts are bought out.

15. savetherhino

savetherhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Milwaukee County Zoo has a great website

birdsandbats likes this.
  16. birdsandbats

I like it as well. I has a full species list, that while a little outdated is still very nice.

savetherhino likes this.
  17. Emanuel Theodorus

Emanuel Theodorus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I really hate zoo website that have incomplete list of the animal collections. Worse, it's not rare to find website that doesn't even have any! I remember West Midlands Safari Park website used to have a section called A-Z animals where they list their animal collections, but now it's gone!

savetherhino likes this.
  18. Luke da Zoo nerd

Luke da Zoo nerd Well-Known Member

19. Luke da Zoo nerd

Luke da Zoo nerd Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention it also lists species that used to be held at the aquarium, and that are off exhibit. And if you click on each animal most of the time they give great information on the species as well.

20. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Lincoln Park has a very good website species list.

Luke da Zoo nerd likes this.