Join our zoo community

Gorilla and giant forest hog

Discussion in 'Fantasy Zoos' started by @animalmapping, 20 Apr 2019.

1. @animalmapping

@animalmapping Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if you can keep giant forest hogs and western lowland gorillas with each other?
    And if you can keep giant forest hogs with African forest elephants?
    And if you could keep red river hogs and giant forest hogs in an exhibit?!

2. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member

Well someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think giant forest hogs or African forest elephants are on exhibit anywhere in the world. Even tough it wasn't one of your questions, I do however know that at the Houston Zoo in Texas (U.S.A.) western lowland gorillas and red river hogs are housed together.
    [​IMG]
    The gorillas can access the rrh moat, which is meant to replicate a dry river bed, but the hogs can't reach the grassy gorilla area.

3. @animalmapping

Yeah there is only one forest elephant in some zoo, but my zoo uses a lot or rescued elephants like a sanctuary does, breeds them for a short period and released them. Giant forest hogs were in larger numbers in captivity but still rare. Thanks btw I did already see this photo and I also know red river hogs are held with bush elephants so they probably will be fine with the forest elephant as well, but I still ain’t sure about the giant forest hog. Especially cause they are so rare in captivity we almost know nothing about them. Probably let them share the exhibit with the gorillas and somebody African monkey species and let the red river hogs share an exhibit with forest elephants!

Hipporex likes this.
  4. @animalmapping

Hey I have an question! What do people mean with 1.1 elephants for example? Is it 11 elephant? Or 2 elephants I don’t get it!!

5. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member

1.1 Elephants means 1 male elephant and 1 female elephant.
    2.1 elephants would mean 2 male elephants and 1 female.
    And 1.1.1 elephants would mean 1 male, 1 female and 1 elephant of unknown gender

:)

@animalmapping likes this.
  6. @animalmapping

Thanks amazing

Cassidy Casuar likes this.
  7. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member

@Jonas broos

I think the combination would work, as long as each species had their own areas to retreat to. Also, don't mix the forest elephant bulls with the hogs under any circumstances.

@animalmapping likes this.
  8. @animalmapping

Okey thanks of course I that of giving both species their own space i think that should be done in all speciesism mixes or solitaire animals together. But the bull thing didn’t i work out yet, i will think about that some further.

9. @animalmapping

I
    know btw that ouwehands zoo has bush elephants mixed with red river hogs might check out how they do that with their male (cause I know they have male)