Join our zoo community

Melbourne Zoo Gorilla birthday

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Zuki-pah, 28 Apr 2006.

1. Zuki-pah

Zuki-pah New Member

:confused:

Last edited: 23 Apr 2007
  2. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Thats real nice new Zuki, Gorillas are great animals hope to see more babies there soon, not sure how many are in that troop but with four females its sounds like a good breeding unit, good on them.

3. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

melbournes gorilla troop....

i believe the troop currently consists of

silverback motaba, females, betsy, julia, g-anne and yuska and offspring yakini, jumatano and ganyeka. i was under the impression that ganyeka was the only juvenile female and that the above article has got her and jumatano muddled up.

interestingly, melbourne always names (though all gorillas have a "real" behind the scenes name used by keepers so as to make sure the public cannot annoy the gorillas by calling out their names all the time) its infants
    based on the first letter of their mothers name. hence mzuri's name was changed to ya-kwanza to reflect his others name of yuska.

i haven't seen the zoos other silverback rigo (mzuris' father) at the zoo for some time, though for some reason he was never included on ISIS records even though he most definately lived at the zoo.