Join our zoo community

Gorilla Kingdom or Realm of the Red Ape?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by cria cuervos, 20 Jul 2007.

1. cria cuervos

cria cuervos New Member

With Realm of the Red Ape opened at Chester, Gorilla Kingdom opened at London, and Budongo Chimp Experience due to open at Edinburgh later this year it seems 2007 is the year of the multimillion pound Great Ape Exhibit in British Zoos. All that is needed now is for Twycross to get in on the act with a new Bonobo exhibit.

There’s been much discussion on this forum about the merits of both Realm of the Red Ape and Gorilla Kingdom but little direct comparison. I’d like to know which the Zoointeligentsia of Zoobeat think is the better exhibit. Obviously it depends on what aspects of the enclosures you’re comparing, so to make things easier I’ll clarify and ask which do you think is a better exhibit from an animal welfare perspective and which is better from a visitor perspective?

2. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

I have only been to realm of the red ape and I think that it is amazing. It is the attention to detail that I love. The signs have borders around them that make them blend into the surrounding exhibits, and the aviaries seem to merge seemlessly into the boardwalk. I also love the amount of different species. There is a page about realm of the red ape on my site.

However, there are some minor points that I don't like about it. One of the enclosures has an awful steel fence around it and as Bongorob said, there is a walled in area that seems like an enclosure, but nothing is kept in there. I also think that the zoo could have got another species instead of the belanger's tree shrew. Slow loris maybe.

About Gorilla kingdom; from zoopro's pictures on the gallery, I think that it looks Ok. The interior is of a good standard, and I like the glass tunnel. But the outside is the opposite. As many people have pointed out, gorillas don'y like really flat open areas. There is a trre in the centre of the area, that appears to be the only piece of vegetation in the whole exhibit. Also, Grantsmb has complained about the colubus tunnel. I've seen this on Blue peter and I have to agree that it does look hideous. I'm all for mixed exhibits, but there must have been a better way to make the colubuses interact with the gorillas.

Of course I'm very fond of Chester, so I will prefer the realm of the red ape. It may also be, that I love south east asian wildlife, most Hornbills live there!! But I think that Chester has probably spent it's £3 million better then London spent it's £5.3 million.

Keep an eye out on the gallery as I'll be updating my realm of the red ape film. It's very similar to the Islands in Danger and Elephants of the asian forest film. There will be another one uploaded on wednesday, as I will hopefully be looking around on wednesday during my lunch break.

Last edited: 20 Jul 2007
  3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Okay, you really need an answer from people who have seen both, to make it meaningful and I haven't seen Chester's yet.

On Gorilla Kingdom I'd rate it very good from a visitor perspective but definately not so good from the gorillas' perspective as its largely an open island with little cover.

4. Writhedhornbill

Who has seen both? Chris have you? I will hopefully be going to London if I can manage to persuade my Parents.

5. Bongo

Bongo Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I will be going to chester soon and I have been to london to see Gorilla Kingdom so I will comment then. For the amount of money London spent I was very disapointed. I have 2 favourite Gorilla exhibits which are Congo Gorilla Forest at Bronx Zoo and Pangani Forest Exploration Trail
    at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

6. Writhedhornbill

I haven't been to Bronx, But that enclosure( And the whole zoo for a matter of fact) looks amazing!!. I also think that San Diego has one of the nicest gorilla enclosures in the world. Compared to this, London's exhibit looks awful. The bonobo exhibit, is very similar and has a nice sized group of Bonobos. There is a lot of African theming in this area. Has London done any theming in the interior of the Gorilla exhibit, to make it feel like a forest? Chester excels at Doing this I think.

7. KJ

KJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Twycross will not get one for a while, i was in one of there meating not that long ago, next is snowleopards and wading birds these two will be attached to a new entance :)

8. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

Did you mean me Jonathon, or Bongo?
    I have seen both- and it is fair to say both are good- but neither perfect.

I almost regret to say that both disappointed me in one way or another- I think not through any fault of the actual exhibits but more as a result of my own premonitions and expectations.

For me- Realm of the Red Ape is a good exhibit- I think most would agree- however it does fall down in some areas. I think the viewing of the animals from a public point of view is quite restricted- and the animals are mostly viewed on the same level. The outdoor areas are hard to see- particularly the one on the back. The indoor areas were my main grumble about ROTRA though. I don't know why, I just didn't like them. Perhaps I expected lusher foliage, more realistic climbing structures, and maybe glass roofs for a more tropical feel. I know all these would be hard to achieve given the strength and destructive nature of the great apes but not impossible surely. I guess the actual design is a compromise between practicality and aesthetics. I think the indoor areas felt terribly enclosed- quite claustrophobic.

London is a good exhibit from a public point of view- meaning that literally, as it looks good and you can see the animals well. It is spoilt however by the very unsightly and extremely liberal use of electric fencing. It's everywhere. I guess the last thing London wants is a Gorilla escape and they do have a habit of attempting it on islands so its justifiable. Many people have criticised the openess of the exhibit and debated the gorillas tendency to prefer an enclosed space, but that said the exhibit is not too stark and some foliage is bushing up now. Neither is the exhibit too flat- but it's hardly a interesting landscape and you can see right across it. The indoor area doesn't try to trick you- perhaps there's no point pulling the wool over your eyes as we all know its a zoo and thus it plumps for practicality. In doing so it still feels quite pleasant and is less ugly than Chester's indoor areas. I do not doubt it suits the gorillas needs- in fact probably better than the outdoor area.

Both exhibits have a fantastic supporting cast of animals, and in each case the nearby reptiles and birds are displayed in great enclosures. There's also information aplenty in both cases for anyone who can be arsed to read it.

I think I prefer Chester's exhibit slightly better for a number of reasons. From an animal point of view I would say Chester's outdoor paddocks are better suited with good planting etc. Chester's indoor area also has more plants on the public side of the glass which means little more than it looks nice but that's still a reason too like it. Perhaps the one area London beats Chester is the architecture- I think their Gorilla building was quite handsome and the open front came as a surprise.

Bleurgh. Hope all that made sense. My typing or sentence formation may be a little off as my week in London has been a long and exciting one.

9. Bongo

Bongo Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have seen the plans for Budongo at Edinburgh Zoo and have been watching the construction (I visit the Zoo at least once a week) and it will be impressive and most probably the best Chimp exhibit in the country and could house up to 40 chimps.

Chris's Zoo Gallery @ Fotopic.Net

10. Hadley

Hadley Well-Known Member

Firstly, I haven't seen the Orang exhibit at Chester, but it sounds far better purely for the natural vegetation in the enclosures and for the cover it provides. I expect most users of this site will not see a zoo exhibit with the same eyes a child or occasional zoo-goer might, and with Dudley and Blackpool Zoos sorely lacking in their presentation these animals and the threats facing them, the exhibit at Chester may be inspiring. European zoos are only recently starting to move away from a moated lawn with a dead trees or climbing platforms for Orang Utans. This is why it is so puzzling that London has gone for essentially this same kind of display for its Gorillas. The point made about the abundance of electric wire is very true - I need to read more but there are some studies on enclosure use for various species where 'hot' wire is used to enclose them, the plants in Gorilla kingdom may look fantastic in a few years, but I suspect the animals will not go near them with all the electric fencing. I guess thats the point, but it's a shame when a progressive minority of zoos allow access to live trees (for example Nuremberg).
    Somebody also mentioned the Colobus tunnel as something they disliked. While I have no opinion on the aethetics of the tunnel, I wondered if anybody knows of zoos where Gorillas are successfully mixed with colobus, or guenons? Bristol has a tunnel linking the De Brazza monkey enclosure with the Gorilla Island, but as yet I don't think they have attempted to mix them, with both groups having very young animals (correct me if you know otherwise). A few years ago, I believe Port Lympne attempted to mix colobus, and later Diana monkeys, with their Bachelor Gorillas, several monkeys were killed by Gorillas, so the attempts to mix them were halted (there is still a monkey cage with connecting tunnel next to 'palace of the apes, ususally remaining empty). Howletts did the same around the same time, using Spot-nosed guenons and Samango monkeys, this was successful with the spot-nosed monkeys, although they never bred and only 1.1 remain, while the Samango were moved to Port Lympne. At London and Bristol, you might expect that on introduction, any aggression from the Gorillas would cause the monkeys to take to the highest tree, rather than to run, on the ground, to the one exit point available to them on the island. Neither enclosure has a great deal of climbing apparatus, and certainly none that would be out of reach to a Gorilla chasing a colobus monkey.
    Does anyone know how the staff at London are planning to go ahead with the introduction of the colobus?

11. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Duisburg Zoo has De Brazza Monekys with gorillas which seems to go well, and the Safari Park Beekse Bergen has colobus monkeys with a bachelor group of young gorilla males. Many trees there are protected with hot wire (unfortunately...) so that they are out of reach for the gorillas but the colobus just jump over the hotwire and can get away from the gorillas.
    And the Gaia Park Kerkrade has gorillas together with back mangabeys, which goes very well.

12. Pertinax

I believe Munster Zoo has Gorillas with Red capped Mangabeys too.

Melbourne mixed de Brazzas with the Gorillas recently(see on this forum) but after initially been frightened, they became bolder and started to tease the gorillas. The Silverback killed one and they've now removed the others.

At Port Lympe at least one Colobus was kept with the single silverback gorilla 'Jomie' (in the old round Chimpanzee cage) He caught and killed it. Later he was transferred to London Zoo(who owned him) and he was found to have Hepatitis B. As he was born at Howletts he can surely only have caught it from the monkey? He later died from it, so there can be a health issue here too.

Bristol- I haven't seen the island since the new monkey areas were built but I believe there is a hollow log bridge for the De Brazza monkeys to access the Gorilla Island. I'm more concerned here for the safety of the two young gorillas if they are encouraged by seeing the monkeys crossing to try too and have an accident with the water- despite being males both of these are genetically valuable( I wouldn't want any gorilla to be lost anyway) Hopefully this design will have taken their safety into account..

London. I don't object to the Colobus access tunnel- that's okay- its the fake tree which undermines the attempts at a naturalistic display. Also as Hadley said, Colobus will look for aerial escape routes rather than running along the ground, so its not very natural for them to come and go at ground level(or enter a 'hollow' tree either). Perhaps a simple pole-type support which the Gorillas somehow couldn't climb, coupled with a platform for the Colobus to leap into nearby trees would be a better design- the Gorillas are too heavy anyway to jump as far as Colobus can. I do hope they rethink this aspect at some stage.

Regarding mixing the London colobus- I imagine they will allow them access alone e.g.in the early morning to start with until they are familiar with the layout, and then add the Gorillas. The three current Gorillas are mature, quieter animals and I wouldn't expect them to worry about the Colobus unduly in the long term. I think it will work fine..

13. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

just a few additional points about melbourne zoos gorilla/guenon experiment.

as grant said, eventually one of the gorillas fatally injured a monkey (its assumed to be motaba the silverback) and the remaining two were removed. its supprising, since melbournes gorilla exhibit is th epolar opposite (both metaphorically and probably literally) to londons - it is blessed with a thick cover of vegetation and many large trees where the monkeys had "safe" zones. nontheless the monkeys had no sense, no doubt being raised in their own cage, and frequently harrassed the gorillas on the ground and eventually started to invade their night dens (where the one was killed)

14. Hadley

Hadley Well-Known Member

In that context, it would seem to me that the monkeys needed to learn respect the Gorillas, rather than the exhibit being at fault, and that removing them was a drastic (public relations?) measure. The remaining De Brazza monkeys would surely have learnt to avoid the Gorillas having lost one of their own. I have less of a problem with that kind of incident where the space given to the animals allowed for peaceful coexistence/ avoidance of eachother, than with enclosures seemingly designed with only great apes in mind containing monkeys with very little chance to avoid an angry silverback.

A point was made earlier about the importance of certain bloodlines in the Bristol Gorilla group making the introduction of De Brazza monkeys a risk to the Gorilla infants. I agree with this point, but as we are all coming from slightly different perspectives, it is of value to hear what motivates others on this forum in their concerns for a particular zoo population. I am overwhelmingly concerned with animal welfare, I think the value of people meeting great apes cannot be underestimated, and feel that visitors to say, howletts, come away seeing confident, socially-cohesive ape families, despite the aesthetically harsh constructions they are housed in, and gain a far better understanding of this species than when they have visited a zoo such as London or Blackpool.

15. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

Good point. Surely the ideal situation would to be to create an exhibit that allows the animals to feel comfortable and to be kept in a large family group whilst still appearing in a naturalistic and attractive environment that isn't just a big metal cage. It doesn't seem like there is anywhere in this country that matches that description really- but I'm sure there's zoos in America, Germany and Australia that do. Why haven't British zoos taken this approach- it seems a waste?

16. Pertinax

There are plenty of good social Gorilla groups in aesthetically pleasing surroundings in zoos around the World- it just so happens there aren't really any in the UK presently. Apart from the hugely successful Howletts groups, the only other group which demonstrated similar cohesion and activity was Chessington's (I say 'was' as its currently undergoing some changes) but again the current enclosure is a simple copy of Howletts'. If they are building a new enclosure sometime soon, then there's a chance they may produce something attractive at the same time.

In the other UK groups, either the animals aren't breeding at all at present(Blackpool, London, Belfast) only breed sporadically(Jersey,Twycross) or have only a very small breeding group (Bristol) I don't include Paignton as the group is limited in size and behaviour by being males only, or Dublin where a single pair has been breeding regularly in a more traditional-style enclosure. So none of the above at present have the number and age range of Gorillas needed to present a really good 'group' atmosphere.

Hopefully this will change over time. London are obviously keen to breed their animals while the Bristol group will hopefully grow too, albeit very slowly with further births in time, at least to Romina, if not from Salome. (Its taken about five years, including miscarriages and fertility treatment to finally get a successful baby from Salome- hence my concern as it could well be her last and she has no other offspring.) Blackpool are keen to breed to, but despite having three good females, they need a better male.

17. patrick

very true - though i'm not so sure about it being a public relations thing - probably moreso just an attempt to stop the reminaing two guenons killed. true they may very well have learned, but with a restructure of the gorilla group looming, including the introduction of a new silverback, removing the guenons probably wasn't such a bad idea.

on gorilla exhibits.... i couldn't agree more. in all honesty, i think many zoos are pretty appaling in zoo exhibit design. there are few exhibits i am truly impressed with. i think in the end it comes down in part just to laziness or a lack of creativity. mock-rock, gorilla caves, grassy lawns and a few dead tree logs... from the photos i've seen london looks boring as bat &*%$!!!

its true melbourne zoos exhibit was blessed with some large prexisting trees but they have managed to grow even more of an overstory and a relatively lush understory also. no easy feat when the area has been permanatly populated by a 8 strong gorilla troop. its also just as much the artistry in the layout, the uses of mulches, the choices in plants that makes it such a convincing "rainforest" exhibit. one viewing window is framed by a massive fallen rainforest tree. now i have seen A LOT of faux trees in my time (even made a few) and this one looks and feels, real.

unfortunately from what i can see - london skimped on the furnishings and hired some artsists who clearly didn't bother using references and its shows.

my point? um, well i guess i'm trying to say that, its bloody important to build the right building, exhibit sizes, keeper facilities etc...

but in the end its creativity that puts the "immersion" in immersion exhibits. you need people who bother with the fine details and who come up with creative solutions, people who recognise the specific characteristics of the particular environment they are replicating and a good dose of research... and i think with this whole trend in new exhibits that is happening at the moment, many zoos seem to just copy what they have seen in other zoos and somewhere along the lines everyone forgets that gorillas don't actually live in rocky caves in the grassy plains of africa..

18. Pertinax

When I saw the photos of London's outside enclosure under construction I was amazed at how open and simplistic it was going to be- maybe that's why they called it a 'Kingdom' rather than a 'Forest'

Having now seen it for myself, it is a little better now that the vegetation at ground level has already grown up- however it won't ever have a 'covered' rainforest feel while there's only one small 'live' tree in the whole area.

To see a really naturalistic display for these Apes in Europe you need to go to either Apenheul in Holland or Vallee de Singes in France, the latter is copied from the former. They have large (particularly Apenheul) grassy islands covered with thick shrubby vegetation and a canopy of mature trees over much of the central area. The Apenheul group in particularly really looks great. Few other exhibits are big enough to allow you to see behaviour like the grouping gathering round the male as he prepares to lead them off to another part of the enclosure.

Cologne Zoo in Germany has also been highly commended- their Gorilla enclosure is more traditional but the outdoors is a sort of 'hybrid' between covered cage and open space so provides that all important security for the inmates. Some other recent lavish European exhibits, e.g. Hanover's 'Gorilla Mountain(where Buzandi now lives) and Munich's cost huge amounts to build but are still basically stark open areas like London's.

19. patrick

its really quite a shame too isn't it. melbournes vegetation always gets a bit damaged when there are infants in the group (especially three as their has been for the last seven years). the younger gorillas have access to hotwired areas of vegetation (thy can slip under the wires) to give them "safe" areas to escape outbursts from any of the adults. unfortunately they spend a lot of time playing with eachother in the trees and the trees are all the worse off for it. they successfully destroyed a mature peppercorn tree that was in the exhibit. nontheless, the zoo has managed to grow a lot of other trees within the exhibit from scratch, some completely unprotected (such as the large stand of senegal palms), which are now quite large and create a proper canopy.

one other element i like is that melbourne don't "grass" the majority of the exhibit. certainly grass grows, but much of it is mixed in with other starchy groundcovers, which makes for a much "junglier" feel. in the areas of heavy tree-cover they use darkwoodchips and mulch which looks like a rainforest floor.

from someone as picky as me - i must commend them on not only making it look like a rainforest - but an AFRICAN rainforest at that.

it will be interesting to see how they redevelop the ape grottoes for the batchelor group. i suspect it will be alot more "traditional" in its design as, whilst the area is surrounded by tall trees, theres not a single one within the grottoes themselves.

so really, there are ways to mainatain vegetation in gorilla exhibits, just few northern zoos seem to be doing it at the moment. personally i'm more impressed with the zoos taking on the challenge of keeping live trees in orang enclosures (something much, much more difficult!), presently very few zoos are giving it a go, but i think it can be done.

20. Pertinax

Pat- there's nowhere in temperate Europe where you can recreate the 'rainforest' feel of Melbourne's gorilla exhibit- I haven't seen it for a number of years and it sounds even better now. Hell, the weather's so good in your region they don't even need indoor viewing areas for the public...

Because of climate, in Europe its only possible to recreate a rainforest feel in a covered area. I think one or two of these have appeared recently in Europe but the Apes(its been done for Orangutans too) don't have direct access to most of the 'tropical' vegetation of course as they'd destroy it so its largely outside of the enclosures.

Otherwise the best outdoor European exhibits can only really consist of 'climax' european vegetation e.g. leafy tree and shrub cover as at Apenheul, Holland. And Apenheul is closed for nearly six months of the year during the winter, when the animals are probably indoors mostly....