Join our zoo community

Gorilla picture

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by lintworm, 27 Jun 2016.

1. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

On facebook this gorilla picture was posted in an Artis group and it was supposed to be Babar in Artis, though this picture clearly was not made in Artis and probably not in NL at all. Does anyone recognize this enclosure?

Attached Files:

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Interesting.... Initially I thought Basel, their original cage, but the cage mesh and background is wrong. It appears to be somewhere with a(faint) wooded hillside and raised walkway in the background. Having the year would be useful but from the style of people's clothes I'd say 1970's maybe, rather than any earlier.

3. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don't know the date of the picture, but would also say 1970. The hill side seems to be wooded with coniferous trees, so that shouldn't leave to many options....

4. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've been racking my brains about this one - with no success at all. It does occur to me that the photo might have been taken in America or even Australia. Perhaps a posting in another forum might bring results.

Alan

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

the people don't look Australian. I think it is Canada or the USA.

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The only Australian zoos with Gorillas circa 1970's were Taronga and Melbourne (just). Only Taronga had had adults and I saw the old cages, its not there.

I too think maybe somewhere in America as I can't think of any European zoos that fit the bill.