Join our zoo community

Adelaide Zoo Gorillas at Adelaide zoo

Discussion in 'Australia' started by MARK, 17 Feb 2006.

1. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Do you know where the new female Bongo is coming from?.

2. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

No sorry, i am going to the zoo at 11:30 today, so i will ask if i see someone

3. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

g/day peeps, i'm new here and i'm a zoo-enthousiast from Holland... I might not post a lot but i'll be looking over your shoulders a little, hope you don't mind. I saw this article and was surprised because i haven't heared of any transfer yet of any gorilla's to/from Holland, perhaps i missed it? They must be headed to Apenheul Primate Park i guess? Anyone any more info/names?

Are the animals still owned by Apenheul? I know their group came from them...

(Sorry i dug up this old thread, but since it would take 8 months the transfer should be fairly recent?)

4. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

Hi Jwer,

The two females at Adelaide Zoo are planned to be transferred to Duisburg Zoo, Germany and Lisbon Zoo, Portugal as part of the EPP program.

The ex-Apenhaul animals are not on loan, but they are managed in conjunction with the EEP animals.

5. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thanks for the reply, apparantly they have not gone yet? Can't remember seeing them come up on the german zoo-forum...

One of the dutch zoo-people i know follow's every gorilla in the world, as much as he can anyways, would you know the names/ages of them?

6. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

Both of the females are still at Adelaide Zoo. They are Anguka, born at Apenheul, 28 October 1994, and Safiri, also born at Apenheul, 6 June 1996. They are half siblings.

7. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Leaving in march

8. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

hey ben what info have yu got on the chimp exhibit at monarto?

9. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

well thats a good question, all i know is its going to be at monarto, i dont even know where, well no one does that i talk to regularly, it will be. i am assuming that some Mallee will be fenced off, and climbing frames added. they may not even be on display, like the Condor and natives at Monarto

There are also 2 female chimps coming from New Zealand, i beleive Willowbank, or somewhere else.

Nigel, you might know this, does anyone else hold chimps in NZ that would want to get rid of them?

10. Coquinguy

Coquinguy Well-Known Member

all i can get off the net, without looking to hard, is that monarois proposing to build the biggest exhibit in australia for chimps...

11. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

yep what i wrote is all i know aswell, so sorry i cant be of much help, when i hear something i will let you know

12. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

Nope, only Auckland's last remaining tea-party chimp, Hamilton, Willowbank and Wellington.

The pair from Willowbank were supposed to be heading to Mogo, but as we know, they don't have the funds to finish the exhibit. Obtaining these animals is dependant on them having the exhibit finished.

The current population size in the region is 48.

There's another chimp thread started elsewhere.....

13. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

excess chimps in NZ

I dont know so much about "getting rid of them " , but at the rate that they are breeding at Wellington Zoo , even the new extended enclosure will not be big enough for , what is basically , two troops of chimps living together in the same enclosure .
    I go with the adadge " if it aint broken , dont fix it"
    Wellington seems to have no problems whatsoever with getting their chimps and baboons ( as well as other primates ) to breed , but I think that Wellington will certainly be a regional chimpanzee source for zoos in Australia and NZ

14. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

i was under the impression wellingtons chimps are largely decended from tarongas and that the mogo and willowbank chimps were probably the most genetically important animals in the region.

15. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

well charlie from willobank, was breed in the wild, when young his mother was shot, and he was taken from the congo, he has a single offspring, a daugter smamantha, who was breed from another animal, i am not sure if another circus or zoo.

holly and louis are half brother, sisiter, from circus backgrounds, which extend to populations in zoos/circus' australia

16. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

Well, yes and no.

Mogo's animals are full siblings, and their parents, Peter and Deanne, are half-siblings (they have the same sire who is ex-Wellington, and their mothers were full siblings). Mogo's female is contracepted to prevent her from breeding with her brother.

Willowbank's male, as zoo boy points out, is wild-caught, with only one survivng offspring, the female that is with him. Her mother is of unknown origins. Certainly, as a wild-caught male, with only a single offspring, that makes him genetically valuable.

There are no plans to breed with any of these four animals at this stage.

17. Zoo_Boy

i was told that there are plans to breed with them

18. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

By Mogo? That's not what the species cordinator has in the breeding program.

19. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

i remember reading on the web (may have been either a mogo website thing or a news article) that holly was a high priority for breeding. and i read a bit about charlie and samantha and made my own conclusions that he was probably a valuable animal. it seems a little odd that there are these two unrelated chimps at willowbank and their only options for integration into the regional breeding program are at mogo? hamilton and wellington both have chimp groups, hamilton only recently building their new exhibit - never been considered?

20. Zoo_Boy

i have always been told that mogo had plans to breed them, or maybe zoopro, again they will got agaisnt your studbooks etc and just breed them, hay it's just like mogo to do something against reccommendations, hay zoopro