Join our zoo community

Belo Horizonte Zoo Gorillas at Belo Horizonte Zoo

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by eduardo_Brazil, 19 Aug 2011.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not, or whether it would have been better to send 'Imbi' back to Howletts, or to another better Zoo somewhere else.:confused:

2. eduardo_Brazil

eduardo_Brazil Well-Known Member

I can only consider it an mistake because no improvement was made since the death of Idi and Kifta! So lets hope all the best will happen and good luck for this two individuals, maybe the zoo learnt form the mistakes!

3. lanlw

lanlw Member

it saddens me to think of Loulu & Leon going there and also that imbi has been alone. She must have been distraught, I also hoped they would bring her back. Should never have gone there in the 1st place, kifta was a great gorilla.

4. eduardo_Brazil

eduardo_Brazil Well-Known Member

Lou Lou is pregnant, so states a news release given out by Belo Horizonte Zoo!

5. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

6. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

7. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

8. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

According to Jim Davis's unofficial studbook, this first birth on August 5th has been followed by another on September 1st. The father is Leon from Tel Aviv and the mothers are Imbi and Lou Lou from Howletts.

Alan

9. carlos55

carlos55 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Great news, underlining why animal exchanges and transfer of zoo animal management and husbandry expertise across the globe makes sense and does more for species conservation than one could hope to think of otherwise.

We actually seem to have missed the news item on the second gorilla birth here!

Resume:
    First births in 2014:
    1.0 Sawidi (Leon x Lou Lou)
    1.0 Johari (Leon x Imbi)

New 3rd baby in 2017:
    0.0.1 (Leon x Imbi)

David Matos Mendes likes this.
  11. David Matos Mendes

David Matos Mendes Well-Known Member

12. Kifaru Bwana

How has the gorilla group developed at Belo Horizonte Zoo in 2020: 1.2 breeding group and 2.0+0.0.1 2017 (sexed now right?)??? More births since?

Any indication that other zoos might at some point start with this great ape species?

BTW: How is the de-acquisition or putting all chimpanzee at a preferred zoo location going?

13. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

The gorilla born in 2017 is a male and his name is Ayo. In 2019, Lou Lou, Jahari and Ayo's mom, gave birth to a female, whose name is Anaya. I don't think any zoos in Brazil (maybe even in South America) are planning to add gorillas to their collection.
    About the chimps, it seems that there is only one male specimen living in Belo Horizonte. I went there in the 21st of November and I saw only one chimpanzee, which was a male. I went to the gorilla exhibit and there was a zookeeper, to whom I asked about Dorotéia, the only female chimpanze which lives (or lived) there. The girl said that recently, one of the chimps had died, but she couldn't tell me which gender it was, since she didn't know it either.

14. Kifaru Bwana

I am surprised some zoo keepers do not know their precinct that well! Usually, the staff are quite knowledgeable and always happy and passionate to talk about the animals in their care, their work and all. I really enjoy that side of a zoo very much!

I am thinking of opening a thread in the Brasil section on exotic animals. The ones you (Estimado Enzo), @OC and @DAVID MM have been talking about. Or any of you might want to do that. I am sure to jump in as well (as I really enjoy to have your local perspectives on everything with zoos and conservation as well as more general social, cultural and political affairs).

15. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Oh, I'd definitely support creating the thread. I'd like to discuss more about the exotic animals living in Brazil, mainly ungulates and primates, but other animals are also very welcome.

16. David Matos Mendes

The keepers staying at the gorilla exhibit in this reopening period are mostly interns. Many of them have just started their working periods at the zoo, and don't have enough experience yet... I hope you could have met a more experienced keeper, @Enzo ...

I support the creation of this mentioned thread, it will be really interesting.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  17. David Matos Mendes

The last gorilla born at the zoo came to the world last year, and completed her first birthday very recently. Some of the zoo's keepers told me in a few occasions that there is a good possibility of building other exhibits to hold the male gorillas and build new families, instead of transfering them. Besides BH zoo, no other zoos in the country have, nowadays, an adequated structure to keep gorillas in a satisfatory way.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.