Join our zoo community

Orana Wildlife Park Gorillas Coming to NZ

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by zooboy28, 17 Nov 2010.

1. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Orana Park to build exhibit for 3 male gorillas from Taronga Zoo. Will be a great addition to NZ zoos! Sounds awesome.

2. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Very exciting for New Zealanders. Surely some help will be forthcoming from the provincial or civic governments towards the $2m needed, as I imagine gorillas will be good for bringing visitors to the region from other parts of New Zealand. Even guaranteeing loans would be a material help to the park.

I hope Kibabu, Fataki and Fuzu don't feel the cold too much!

3. kiwipo

kiwipo Well-Known Member

A fair bit of that 2 million will be for a heated gorilla house for the winter. Lowland gorillas dont have the hairy coats of the mountain species.

Im not sure that any money will be comming from the govts though, Orana doesnt receive any govt funding, it relies solely on entry fees and donations.

4. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Even private zoos can get government money if it is believed the project will benefit the region.

5. kiwipo

kiwipo Well-Known Member

Dunno if there would be too much spare govt money in the Chch area for zoos though.

6. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Are there any updates on the progress of this project? What's the current situation?

7. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Orana is fighting for survival. I would not be at all confident about this move ever happening.

8. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So Taronga may need to rethink where these males will eventually go then.

9. Shirokuma

What is the current situation with Orana? I don't think it's been discussed elsewhere on here but I could be wrong.

10. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

No its the first Ive heard of it too

11. kiwipo

kiwipo Well-Known Member

last I heard of Orana, all new projects are on hold indefinitely, including plans for the gorillas. I think the Gorillas were three males that were no longer useful for breeding due to age or genetics.
    Orana had over a 50% drop in patronage after the earth Quake and of course lost the Aquarium completely.
    They laid off about half a dozen staff, cut back on a lot of costs, and certainly the last time I visited back in August the numbers of visitors were well down. According to the keepers I spoke with a number of animals were being shipped out to other zoos to save on feeding costs.
    However they still have lions, tigers, cheetahs, rhino, giraffe and many others.

12. Shirokuma

I guess that's why the waterbuck went to Hamilton.

13. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Possibly, although I think Hamilton always wanted to get waterbuck back for their Savannah exhibit, and when the nilgai died out the waterbuck were brought in as replacements (filling the 'large antelope' slot quite nicely). I do not know of any other species which have been moved out of Orana recently, although they do have some domestics (water buffalo, highland cattle, llama) which could have gone into private hands pretty easily. I would like to know of any transfers that would back up Kiwipo's statement.

14. kiwipo

kiwipo Well-Known Member

All you have to do is ask them, which is what I did. Orana to date has only shipped out three waterbuck to Hamilton, and received a Zebra in exchange.
    There are no immediate plans at present to move out any more animals, although in the period after the Earthquake it was one of the options that was looked at.
    Instead Orana have reduced costs by restructuring staff, which resulted in several redundancies, and not replacing some others who have left, though recently they have increased keeper numbers.
    Their real saving has been through the cancellation of improvement and postponement of some plans they had for new displays.
    Animal care and welfare is the priority however, and the emphasis is on keeping the present zoo population fit and well.

If anyone wants to know more just ring Orana and ask to speak to the Customer Services Manager, he's a nice guy who is happy to answer any questions.

15. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

no animals have been "shipped out" due to the earthquakes. The waterbuck, as you say, were a standard inter-zoo transfer. As usual kiwipo is posting nonsense.

16. kiwipo

kiwipo Well-Known Member

You should have read the post I put just above yours, it would have saved you looking silly.

The shipping out of animals was indeed something they seriously looked at in order ot cut down on costs, but they were able to make savings in other areas without resorting to that.

Why dont you just ask the people that know, its saves a lot of speculation.

17. Chlidonias

I can't really be bothered getting into one of these threads where someone calls you on nonsense you post, you throw one of your bizarre little hissy fits and then demand the thread be locked, but you said "a number of animals were being shipped out to other zoos to save on feeding costs", followed by "Orana to date has only shipped out three waterbuck to Hamilton, and received a Zebra in exchange" the latter quote of which needless to say makes a mockery of the former claim.

As for "asking the people that know", one of those would be me.....

18. kiwipo

kiwipo Well-Known Member

Too bad your comprehension skills aren't on a level with your claimed knowledge, or you would have seen that my first post said one of the option being looked at after the quake was reducing the amount of animals that had to be looked after, however as time went on alternative methods of cost saving were found.
    Suggestions, plans and ideas are put forward and often changed as circumstances dictate.
    As for you being in the know, how am I to know that since I have no idea who you are.
    I prefer to go with the info provided by someone who I know is in the know, rather than some easily offended self proclaimed zoo expert on a chat forum.

If you want to know the name of the person who does in fact have the real info I can message you his details and you can find out for yourself.

I dont claim to be an expert in the know on any zoo, my opinions on here are my own opinions and like you are made under a nom de plume.

And if you want to quote me again do it properly, not out of context. That just makes you look even sillier when you are corrected.

19. Chlidonias

merry christmas kiwipo

Birdsage likes this.
  20. kiwipo

kiwipo Well-Known Member

Same to you Childonais, and you have a great new years too.

Birdsage likes this.