Join our zoo community

Gorillas Haven

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bwindi, 14 Jul 2008.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Gorilla Forums.

Are you a member and do you think they are worth joining? Does it cost anything? Presumably it doesn't work like this forum? Is one better than the other for updates, news etc?

2. Jo

Jo Well-Known Member

It is free, and you basically start a yahoo account and then join the groups, very simple. I am on a lot of lists, probably about 40, and it is a good way to ask questions and keep up with things.

How it works is you join, then you decide if you want to have each email that is posted to the list sent to you, or one daily digest (all emails in one) or no mail and read the posts on the site. People announce events, news, or ask questions. What you get out of it depends on your level of interest, if you aren't that fussed on gorillas (go see a doctor!) then you might not get much. There are plenty of specific groups, and general ones, for example, zoo biology is a great resource for me too.

You can also get news alerts through google, I have the keywords, chimpanzee, gorilla, orangutan, bonobo and capuchin in my settings, and I get any news reports from across the world on those subjects. Very handy, just start a google account and do some digging to news alerts.

3. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

4. Bwindi

Bwindi Member

Gorilla Populations - really good news??

Nearly half world's primates face extinction
    (CNN, August 5, 2008)
    Report: Nearly half world's primates face extinction - CNN.com

Of course, the same time the new numbers for wild gorillas came out, so did the news that most of the primates on the planet are facing extinction, which is sobering ... Some people contacting me exclaiming how happy they were that "gorillas are saved" ... ahh, if it were only that simple!!

At least it's a good start! j

5. Bwindi

Bwindi Member

Deadly Gorilla Attack at the Henry Doorly Zoo
    FEATURED VIDEO

Female Gorilla Killed in Gorilla Attack

Omaha, NE - A male gorilla attacks a young female gorilla and kills her. It happened Thursday afternoon at the Henry Doorly Zoo.

The zoo's director, Dr. Lee Simmons, describes the situation as a fluke and says nothing like this has ever happened at the zoo before.

The 13-year-0ld Silverback gorilla was in a room being reintroduced to a group of gorillas as a way to ease him back to the exhibit. That's when the male hit the female gorilla and she hit the ground. Staffers tried to save her, but had no luck.

Officials will decide what to do with the male gorilla. The zoo and the exhibit will remain open.

Reported by Chriss Knight, [email protected]

6. Jo

Jo Well-Known Member

From what I could gather it was a fluke accident and was probably what normally would have been just a standard gorilla thump with no lasting consequences. Sometimes angles are wrong or something just happens to make a normal strength whack fatal. I hope so anyway. I hope the keepers are doing ok, such an awful thing to happen for the group and the keepers.

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm sure you are right in this. I've heard of a Silverback hitting a female a passing blow and knocking her out- this is just an unfortunate stage further. It seems he hit/swiped the young female (his daughter) and she then hit her head against something, which is what killed her.

A not unsimilar incident happened at Jersey many years ago- the male 'Jambo' accidentally got in with female 'Npongo' and her six month baby- during the excitement of this unplanned 'reintroduction' there was a violent scuffle between the two adults, during which the baby was thrown clear of its mother and unfortunately quickly died from concussion from landing on a hard surface.

Last edited: 10 Oct 2008
  8. zooman

Hey Jane, this has come up in another thread.

Whats this about. Is it a good soloution? Seems to have worked really well with the management of a silverback.

"Casteration" I bet a woman thought of this first ;]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zooman
    Thats interesting, they ignore him. Because he his no longer a threat to there reproduction. Or and because he is docile?
    Does the Gorilla know he is casterated do you think pertinax? go on ask him

Quote Pertinax
    I haven't seen Belfast's gorillas but I know people who have, and have seen a number of photos of Kukuma. In this case, castration at an early age has resulted in him lacking typical male characteristics(crest, thick arm hair, silverback, size(?)) and he looks more like a female....

I reckon the others know he isn't a 'normal' male, or do they count him as a female- I don't know... Any information from Belfast would be interesting to hear about his relationships.
    Quote Pertinax

9. zooman

It’s probably best to post comments on Gorilla Castration in its own thread that l have started. My first experience with chat rooms! Trying to keep up with etiquette. Thanks people

10. Kriba

Kriba Member

I'm a new member of this nice forum and as a (big) gorilla fan Iwould like to say to Bwindi: I admire your work at GH. l love your website and all the news about Oliver and Joe. Good luck with everything!

About the list of male groups in Europe I can add one more: in Safaripark Beekse Bergen (The Netherlands) there's an all male group, with 4 beautiful Bongo sons: M'Kono. Kidogo, M'Bewe and Uzuri.

11. Bwindi

Bwindi Member

Gorilla Haven

Thanks for your kind words, Kriba! And yes, I forgot Beekse Bergen on my quick list - thanks for reminding me!

Jane

12. foz

foz Well-Known Member

hello and welcome,

unfortunatley i hadn't heard anything about GH before this forum but from the looks of things its seems great

13. Bwindi

Bwindi Member

Gorilla Haven's future

Hi all, It's been a while since I posted anything here ... I'm just back from a crazed trip to Germany and Holland, where I visited 93 gorillas at 13 zoos in 9 days - some kinda record, I'm sure! Not sure what will happen with Gorilla Haven now. Oliver has moved to the Columbus Zoo in Ohio, where he's now in the building with other gorillas, waiting until the time is right to start introducing him to his own small group one day. Joe, who is now 47 years old, is still here at GH, doing well for an old man. Sadly, we can't accept more gorillas until/unless long term funding is in place and zoos aren't willing to help with $, so the future of GH is unclear. But we promised Joe we'll care for him til his time to move to Gorilla Heaven comes, so we go deeper and deeper in debt to make that happen. Happy 2010 everyone!

14. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Happy New year to You and all gorillas!