Join our zoo community

Grasslands DLC Thoughts

Discussion in 'Zoo Games & Simulators' started by RandomZooVisitorYT, 4 Dec 2022.

1. RandomZooVisitorYT

RandomZooVisitorYT Well-Known Member

Emu- Yes (No Issue)
    Maned Wolf- Yes (No Issue)
    Caracal- Yes (No Issue)
    Armadillo- Yes, but I would prefer the 3 banded armadillo.
    Red-Necked Wallaby- Yes, but Bennett's Wallabies were more requested/are more common in zoos.
    5 Butterfly Types- Yes, but I would rather have butterflies for each reason, zoos usually mix multiple types of butterfly regardless of region so it makes sense.
    Striped Hyena- No, We already have spotted hyenas and enough African predators (Wild Dogs, Cheetahs, Lions, Hyenas, Leopard) While they are neat, I would swap it out for a Tasmanian Devil, Crested Porcupine, Secretary Bird, or a Coyote
    Blue Wildebeest- No, WE ALREADY HAVE A GOSH DANG WILDEBEEST, also to think we could have had Impala, Kudu, Dik-Dik, Sitatunga, etc.

Overall this is probably going to be the best pack of 2022, as 12 animals will be nice and also to have something else in the walk-through exhibits will be nice.

JigerofLemuria likes this.
  2. Corangurilla

Corangurilla Well-Known Member

Red-Necked Wallabies and Bennett’s Wallabies are the same thing, my guy.
    Also, Striped Hyena is a good animal (might be my favorite of the pack, but we’ll have to wait and see), but it isn’t really a “grasslands” animal.

Fresco3, TNT, Platypusboy and 2 others like this.
  3. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member

Could've just posted your thought on the PZ thread... But whatever

I think it's pretty hit or miss, the saviors of this pack are the armadillo, butterflies, maned wolf and perhaps the emu, everything else is a copy and paste to fill the animal pack DLC model

TNT and Corangurilla like this.
  4. RandomZooVisitorYT

Its not my fault im not British. Also if its not the British term than I dont know a soul that calls them that

5. RandomZooVisitorYT

Tbh I dont mind the reskins as long as they portray the animal properly and if it is well requested.

6. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What does being British has to do with knowing the other name for the wallaby? They literally have red necks.

Fresco3, IndianRhino, TNT and 2 others like this.
  7. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Let's start with wikipedia Red-necked wallaby - Wikipedia

Fresco3 and IndianRhino like this.
  8. RandomZooVisitorYT

Ok, my bad I somehow have been to at least 7 zoos with bennet's wallabies and non of them referred to them as red-necked wallabies.

9. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Last time I checked, Amur leopards weren't found in Africa :p

TinoPup and Mickey like this.
  10. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member

Jokes aside I think he means that it's still a representative of african fauna

11. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Can’t blame him when he is from a region where zoos keep Amur leopards in African exhibits.

amur leopard likes this.
  12. Fresco3

Fresco3 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Opinion:

Maned Wolf: Great addition. While I myself would rather get many of the more common SA small mammals and birds (small monkeys, mara, sloths, coatis, rhea, ocelot, scarlet ibis etc.), I still think the maned wolf is one of the few canids left that I wanted (alongside the raccoon and bush dogs).

Emu: Another overdue addition and probably one of the most glaring omissions from the roster. More birds and more Australian representation is always good! Looks gorgeous too.

Red-necked wallaby: this guy was a must have for me. These are almost as synonymous as ring-tailed lemurs and meerkats when it comes to zoos - they’re everywhere! I wasn’t too sure we’d get them though as they’re not exactly popular in pop culture or to the average public. A pleasant surprise and glad they went with the red-necked species and not a less obscure one. Again more Australian representation and more small mammals for the roster.

Nine-Banded Armadillo: This one is a bit of a disappointment for me. I really wanted an armadillo in game but really wanted one for my South American section and as a Brit - really would’ve preferred the six-banded or southern three-banded species. While the nine-banded is South American it’s really more synonymous as North American fauna and I think both European and NA players will struggle to realistically use it for South America sections. It fits better with the raccoons and skunks than it does in a dedicated South American house. So overall, happy we got an armadillo but not happy with the choice - opposite of the wallaby for me where I’m glad they chose that species.

Caracal - I have no qualms for having the Caracal in game and more small cats are definitely welcome (I’d like many more, ocelot, Pallas’ cat, European wildcat etc.) but i honestly would have preferred the serval. I half suspect we got the Caracal instead, despite serval being more synonymous with grasslands, because the serval has a very similar build to the maned wolf - being a rather lanky, slender animal that looks like it’s tiptoeing. Essentially, I like the pick but would have chose serval myself, especially as they’re more common in zoos.

Striped Hyena - I’m somewhat indifferent on this pick. As a Brit who likes to build realistically I’m not sure how much I’ll use this one as they’re not in British zoos. I also think the aardwolf would’ve been a more unique choice. But I don’t necessarily dislike the pick either. I can respect that they’re fairly common in zoos elsewhere and unique enough from the spotted hyena to warrant a spot. But at the end of the day it is just another canine-like animal (yes I know they’re feliformes!).

Blue Wildebeest: I initially was underwhelmed by this pick, which surprised me as I love ungulates and want more African hoofstock. When I had seen grasslands my head immediately started thinking we’d be getting at least a couple hoofstock (how did we get more in bloody wetlands?). I really wanted common eland so yeah, was kinda sad when I read blue wildebeest. I’m just hoping it hasn’t taken the eland’s spot and we will get that down the line! Others I’d quite like include kudu, Kirk’s dik-dik and roan antelope. I also quite wanted the Eastern black rhino. However, having stewed on it a bit and reading a bit more I don’t mind the blue Wildebeest. It is different enough and still fairly common in zoos! I’ll definitely add them to my Savannah areas. So I’ll likely get more use out of them than the likes of the hyena.

Butterflies: Yes! A butterfly house in a walkthrough exhibit style with mixed-species functionality really opens the door down the line. I would rather they waited and adapted the system until it’s perfect before they add more highly requested species to walkthroughs. My dream is to have a Walthrough exhibit with songbirds and turacos and parrots and tamarins and marmosets and sloths. I hope this can become reality, but I’m happy to wait.

So yeah, solid pack and better than wetlands imo (the hoofstock picks in wetlands let it down a bit, I’d have preferred domestic water buffalo and a waterbuck or sitatunga).

My personal picks for this pack would’ve been:

1. Red-Necked Wallaby
    2. Emu
    3. Maned Wolf
    4. Six-Banded Armadillo
    5. Serval
    6. Common Eland
    7. Eastern Black Rhino

13. RandomZooVisitorYT

I know Amur Leopards Are Russian but In America we substitute African Leopards with Amurs because Amurs need the help more and also only one soon to be two AZA zoos have African Leopards

14. RandomZooVisitorYT

Thanks To Those Who Get It

15. TinoPup

What zoo do you think is getting African leopards?

16. RandomZooVisitorYT

Fort Worth Is Adding them in their upcoming African Predators and Asian Hunters Exhibit

17. TinoPup

They likely will actually be generic leopards. There are no African leopards in the USA.

IndianRhino likes this.
  18. RandomZooVisitorYT

Actually, Columbus Has African Leopards

19. RandomZooVisitorYT

20. Corangurilla

Corangurilla Well-Known Member

They are generic leopards.

TinoPup and IndianRhino like this.