Join our zoo community

Great Barrier Reef Ark?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by kingoffreaks, 1 Jun 2017.

1. kingoffreaks

kingoffreaks Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I wasn't sure if this was general discussion or conservation but I feel it applies to aquariums?
    In the wake of the massive coral bleaching effecting the Great Barrier Reef I was wondering if any conservation orgs, aquariums, or government orgs are making any increased efforts to create an ark for lack of a better word to preserve as many reef species as possible. Whether they could be reintroduced later or whether we would just be preserving them as a duty to other life or simply to remind us how much devastation our species has wrought on this planet.
    I would much appreciate any information on captive conservation efforts.

2. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Not quite what you asked, but a great paper has just been published on conserving reefs:

Coral reefs in the Anthropocene : Nature

For what it's worth, I think the ark paradigm is outmoded. The world is changing and efforts to preserve the status quo are doomed (at least where reefs are concerned). To quote the above review: "the global challenge is to steer reefs through the Anthropocene era in a way that maintains their biological functions." Sad to say, that doesn't mean saving every species.