Join our zoo community

Taronga Zoo Great Southern Oceans

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Zoo_Boy, 13 Dec 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zooworker

zooworker Well-Known Member

I realise this, the thing we have to take into account is that zoo have changed over that time. Also if you remember brooke moved down to seal bay when those pools opened in the early 90's.
    The new pool number 1 has a filter and a chiller, more interesting enclosure layout for her, deeper pool, the underwater viewing window adds enrichment for her as well.

2. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

okay boof did you get that? the reason leopard seals need specially designed exhibits is because...

they are not your average seal and they need viewing windows and a more interesting enclosure layout!

what a pro!

3. zooworker

you've got to be kidding me, thats a point for you. Well what seeing as your so good why don't you give me a description. And it's true, a leopard seal is not comparable to anything we have in captivity and can't be treated as just another seal.

we kept a leopard seal in there until the early 90's when we built the seal bay facility which contained state of the art facilities at the time so therefore we did cater for the leopards at the time, we then moved brooke back to the old main pool while we constructed GSO, overhauling twice in the space of 10 years for the leopard seal, i class that as an upgrade.

Being a marine mammal keeper means i'd memorise the guidelines for animals i have never worked with so have never needed to know the guidelines. like seriously just because i work at the zoo, and i love it, doesn't mean i know everything about everything in the zoo, no one does! not even you!

4. zooworker

Well you tell me what a leopard seal needs

5. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

LOL... You are being mean in this thread..!

Last edited by a moderator: 8 Mar 2010
  6. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I can't wait for Melbourne's marine mammal precinct to open, as then there will be numerous messages supporting/bashing the choices made there. This thread is hilarious!

It seems to me that California Sea Lions are the most common, easily managed species of pinniped in the world, and practically every large zoo and aquarium that I visit has a collection of them. They fill the voids left over when "rescued" animals cannot be found, and they are extremely adaptable to all types of surroundings and environments. It is somewhat bizarre that "Great Southern Oceans" is not the name of the body of water along the massive California coastline. Aren't there California sea lions swimming around Kangaroo Island or Tasmania??? Hahahaha

7. aw101

aw101 Well-Known Member

Personally, I think Californian sea lions are way too common these days. Taronga Zoo should exhibit elephant seals because they are so rare in zoos and they would fit right in as part of Great Southern Oceans.

8. ZooPro

ZooPro Well-Known Member

Yeah, righto! Why not write to them and suggest that they just nip out into the ocean and collect a few :rolleyes:

9. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In a book i got of pictures from Taronga and Western Plains Zoo and it has elephant seals in it. The book is called ZOO and you can only get it at Angus and Robertson.

10. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Had to post it

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017
  11. stretchedandy

stretchedandy Active Member

12. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

fiordland peguins...

anyone know why the fiordland penguins ended up in an exhibit with little penguins? i though the fiordlands were due to get their own exhibit?

i rather think that was a missed opportunity. fiordlands nest in proper temperate rainforest - so there was an exciting concept for an exhibit there.

i can only guess that maybe the issue was that it wasn't worth building them their own exhibit until after they breed - and thus they become a safer investment long-term...

13. zooworker

Correct we used to have 3 elephant seals, 2 females and a male who were wild caught and lived at the zoo for many years, however due to the very slim numbers and the size of a facility needed to keep them it's just not practical.

14. PAT

Thanks Zooworker. How long ago was it and were they on display cos i might have seen them without remembering.

15. Interested

Interested Active Member 15+ year member

The lower seal pools used to have these great (lfie size?) silhouettes of different species, one of which was the Elephant Seal.
    I remember I used to be amazed by those because the Elephant Seal represented was huge!
    I can't remember if I ever saw one there when I first visited sometime in the early 90s.

16. Geoffrey

Geoffrey Well-Known Member

I don't remember any plans for the Fiordlands to have a separate exhibit, although I think it would have been great too. Hey, there's an answer to a previous question too - what would have been a better choice rather than pelicans? A special exhibit for the Fiordlands!

17. zooworker

We displayed them until the early 90's, up until '91 if i remember correctly, and they were down the bottom in the lower pools prior to seal bay, there was a facility there for them. However due to some rather unfortunate accidents they passed away.

18. PAT

That was before i was even born so know chance i saw them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.