Join our zoo community

Greater Vancouver Zoo Greater Vancouver Zoo News

Discussion in 'Canada' started by snowleopard, 1 Mar 2009.

1. Cheetah

Cheetah Member

Zoo Updates:

Pere David’s Deer:
    The Pere David’s deer that was at the zoo has passed away. The female deer named Ziya was 18 years old. The life expectancy of these deer is about 13-16 years.

Wolf Cubs Named:
    The zoo has updated their webpage with the names of the 5 wolf cubs. The remaining cubs are named, Jericho, Stella, Virgo, Vega, and Comet. The site used to say that there were 6 cubs, but the 6th cub had died 6-8 weeks ago and had nothing to do with the vandalism.

Grey Wolf | Greater Vancouver Zoo Animals

Smaggledagle and kermodei like this.
  2. kermodei

kermodei Well-Known Member

Oh sweet Ziya, she was always one of my favorites to see at the zoo :'c

The story of the Père David's deer as a species is so fascinating to me, and they're also just such a unique looking deer, so I always considered it a treat to get to see one up-close and so close to my home.

I remember Ziya as always being rather shy, including in comparison to the sika deer she shared her enclosure with in her later years. My most recent visit to the GVZ was back in April and I was lucky enough to catch a glimpse of her, grazing as normal but very obviously on her last legs. I know she'd been taken off view for medical care a little while ago (2021?), and now I wonder if the heatwave we've been experiencing recently was the final nail for her...

Regardless, I'll really miss her, I'm sure she was easy to pass by for most visitors (in comparison to the lions and bears), but I think she brought such a presence to the zoo.

I know the GVZ previously had a small herd of three(?) Père David's deer, does anyone here know if they successfully produced offspring? And @Cheetah, do you mind me asking where you heard the news of Ziya's passing? I once inquired about her absence and got no reply from zoo staff, so I'd love to know a concrete place to get updates (aside from here, of course lol).

3. Cheetah

Cheetah Member

Once information is posted on the site, or in this case signs taken down and the animal taken off the website, the keepers are allowed to talk about it. If something hasn't been announced or isn't easily observable, it's better to ask management as they are allowed to answer more questions.

kermodei likes this.
  4. Proud Peacock

Proud Peacock Member

2 Big Horn Sheep were born on the weekend. Not sure of the sexes.

Smaggledagle and Cheetah like this.
  5. Cheetah

Cheetah Member

Aquisitions:

American Pelicans:
    The new pelicans are now on display. They are in the old alligator enclosure where Pandora was housed. Philly the porcupine was in this enclosure for the past few months, but has been put back into retirement.

Births:

Bighorn Sheep:
    There has been 3 new bighorn sheep born in the past few weeks.
    Bighorn Sheep | Greater Vancouver Zoo Animals

General News:

Red Pandas:
    Mother Sakura and her 2 cubs now have access to the main part of the enclosure. This should make viewing them much easier.
    Red Panda | Greater Vancouver Zoo Animals

6. RIPPompadour

RIPPompadour Active Member

A 1.0 Grant’s zebra (according to a keeper) was quarantining in the corner yard on the other side of the elands from the existing 0.1 zebra on my visit today. Introductions are pending. She couldn’t tell me which facility he arrived from.

Both of the bison and the heard of female elk were no-shows. Didn’t think it was possible. The website mentions a 1.0 bison “Francis” whom I didn’t see either.

Bison | Greater Vancouver Zoo Animals

7. kermodei

Interesting! I always felt bad for Sahara being all alone, here's hoping the introduction goes well!

I imagine this addition, along with the new lions and giraffes, is part of the zoo's safari park ambitions...?

8. RhinoHippoElephantGiraffe

RhinoHippoElephantGiraffe Well-Known Member

What happened to Zebra Sahara's previous companion? I know she had a male companion as of October 2019, and I think his name was Cairo; correct me if I am wrong.

9. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

She lives with her son, Kito. He was born there in 2012 afaik.

10. RhinoHippoElephantGiraffe

RhinoHippoElephantGiraffe Well-Known Member

Kito no longer lives at the zoo. He must have died or gotten transferred to another zoo or facility in the past 3 years.

11. Jambo

Sorry, I meant lived. He was at GVZ, at least as of 2019.

They also had a colt named Sierra who sired Kito.

12. RIPPompadour

Be interesting to follow up on, definitely. The keeper mentioned (1.0) was under a year old, if age factors in at all. I’ll try to ask more questions when I return on Sunday.

kermodei likes this.
  13. RIPPompadour

The quarantining (1.0) zebra is from a private collection.

14. kermodei

Interesting! Brings to mind the private horse farm around 12 minutes from the zoo that has two or three zebras. Not that I believe this new individual comes from there but I've just always wondered where the few they have came from.

15. Jambo

It's quite young so if they have a breeding group, it's a possibility.

16. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

On October 19th, the zoo announced that due to another outbreak of avian influenza, the zoo moved the bird species affected off exhibit or into modified exhibits.

Update on Avian Influenza (HPAI)

kermodei likes this.
  17. RIPPompadour

Visited today. Noticed a couple of interesting things. I haven’t followed up with the website yet.

1) There appeared to be three more red kangaroos (5 total) than there were last month, unless wallabies are suddenly capable of upgrading into bigger and better versions. No word on where from or when they arrived.

2) One of the male elk the male elk has been moved across the path into the male deer/female elk/bison mix. A calf would be a treat.

kermodei, Kalvin and Smaggledagle like this.
  18. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Smaggledagle likes this.
  19. Cheetah

Cheetah Member

Aquisitions

Musk Ox:
    A new female musk ox, Baroness Tilly Von Floofenschloof from the Calgary zoo. They now has a total of 3 musk oxen.

Births

Alpaca:
    There was an alpaca born at the zoo (1.0) on December 26th.

kermodei and Smaggledagle like this.
  20. kermodei

My heart breaks for the little girl, no question, and the recent tragedy involving the zoo's wolf pack certainly doesn't shine a positive light on their security measures... but I do have to wonder where the girl's parents were in all this, how did she get beyond the barrier fence?

Will be interesting to see what comes of this, though, as it wouldn't be the first time the zoo has gotten in trouble in regards to public safety.