Join our zoo community

Grimsby Zoo

Discussion in 'Zoo History' started by Designaka, 14 Sep 2009.

1. Designaka

Designaka Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does anyone know anything about the closed Grimsby Zoo other than the scanty information in Clinton Keeling's book? I've tried Google... But got nothing. I'm writing a book about zoo postcards, it has two cards from Grimsby in it but I have virtually no information. Help!

2. gyoung

gyoung Member

I have some info. on Grimsby Zoo as my GG dad worked there.

Regards

Geoffrey Younger

3. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

4. gyoung

gyoung Member

There are many photos of Grimsby Zoo, featuring Rosie the elephant + Bostock lions

Regards

Geoffrey Younger

5. Designaka

Thanks Geoffrey and Meaghan. Unfortunately my book is now at the printers (due to be published October 15th incidentally). However I'm still very interested in such information as:

Acreage? I know where the zoo was and have looked at Google maps which didn't help. Did it appear on any Ordnance Survey maps? I have seen the photo of the entrance in Clin's book. What was the precise opening date? I know it closed in 1939. Species kept? I'm aware of sun bear (a postcard), common seal (a postcard), lions, Arabian camel, monkeys (which species?), parrots, peafowl (a postcard) etc. Rosie the elephant is mentioned by Clinton Keeling. What was the Reptile House like? What was kept in it? Was there a circus connection?

There is a video I haven't seen that calls it the Sutcliffe Zoo and shows it as a circus! Very confusing. I received this email recently: Hi – To answer your question, I have just watched the video again and the circus is on for about 30 sec, it shows the park, animals, small boy holding a lion cub and the owner with the assistant manager called Hayes – Hope this helps

I know the owner was Albert Sutcliffe, Assistant manager Hayes. What was your Dad's job Geoffrey?

6. gyoung

gyoung Member

Has anyone written a history of Grimsby Zoo where Rosie the elephant stayed in August 1931. Her trainer was Arthur Feely (Boff). There are a number of articles in the Grimsby Telegraph featuring animals at Grimsby Zoo - Billy the pelican, 5 Bostock and Wombwell lions and of course Rosie the elephant.

Rosie went onto to Whipsnade Zoo in 1932 then to Oxford Zoo where she died in 1938 and was buried at Kidlington. There are many photos of Rosie in Dr. Middlemiss's book A Zoo on wheels where she is seen with Dixie (an older elephant).

Dixie was a sad elephant because she carried on doing her tricks when at Whipsnade Zoo - sitting on chairs. She was also used on a propoganda Pathe news film - imitating the nazi march.

There is a Pathe news film of Bostock and Wombwell's animals reaching Dunstable station in 1932 - lead by Rosie and Dixie, on their way to Whipsnade Zoo.

7. garry

garry New Member

zoo

hi im from gy and live in melbourne oz and on my wall a poster grimsby zoo lner poster do u know much about it bought at an antique shop yrs ago cheers garry:confused:

8. gyoung

gyoung Member

Hi Gary,

I have never seen a poster of Grimsby Zoo - there is a lot of info. in the Grimsby Telegraph.
    What does the nposter show?

My e-mail is [email protected]

Regards

Geoffrey Younger

9. Designaka

I'd also like to see the poster. Can you post it on Zoo Chat?

10. Gazbobs

Gazbobs New Member

Hi all,

I have been looking into whether any of Grimsby zoo still exists and the answer is a little does.
    The photograph of the entrance with the arched sign over two tall walls was on College Street and i have found from looking at google street view that the left hand side wall is now a Garden wall.
    Also surviving so i am lead to believe is the seal / sealion pool, now a large garden pond.
    I have put links below for both images.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Au...z_LZ0W8I5S_BVmyhSA1BvA&cbp=12,250.95,,0,11.48

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Au...+North+East+Lincolnshire,+United+Kingdom&z=20

11. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

12. DanKoehl

DanKoehl Well-Known Member

gyoung, You shpuld know if your GG dad worked there, but are those relocations of Rosie also confirmed from the books you referred to? In my database I have kept this a possible option, with the recordi of Rosie in Grimsby (Rosie, an Asian elephant at Unknown) as possible duplicate with Rosie in Oxford zoo >> Rosie, an Asian elephant at Oxford Zoo (Gosford Hill Farm). But it is eeven confirmed in writing anywhere?

13. zooboy

zooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Rosie the elephant at Oxford came from the sale of Bostock & Wombwell's Menagerie; she initially went to Whipsnade with B&W's other elephant, Dixie. Dixie was kept by Whipsnade but Rosie was sold to Oxford where she was sent in April 1932. This is recorded in the re-print of "Where the Lion Trod" published by the Bartlett Society. It is thought that the animal at Grimsby belonged to Fred Astley; this elephant, also called Rosie, was the elephant that ended up at Bristol Zoo.

14. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

15. DanKoehl

DanKoehl Well-Known Member

This sounds very plausible, considering arrival date for a Rosie at Bristol, and that Grimsby close sort time after wards. But is it confirmed anywhere? Who claim thay are the same elephant?

16. Jen crowder

Jen crowder New Member

Just talking about Grimsby zoo with my parents today We used to to the Zoo in the 70s and my Mum recalls they was a story in the papers that a Lion Trainer ran off with the Monkey trainer It was in the papers ?. Does Amy one remember this Scandal I think the headlines was "And they left two by two " love to find out if this true or just Gossip ...:)