Join our zoo community

Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center Grizzly & Wolf DC News

Discussion in 'United States' started by DeydraOZ, 22 Jan 2013.

1. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. John Marchwick

I recently visited the center and have a new update so with that said

Bears:
    Bo Seeley and Condi are now their own group of 3. All 3 grizzlies were rescued from 2019 to 2020.
    the new bear den and habitat has made some significant new progress. The center hopes to have it open by 2023.
    the center also plans to renovate the old bear den and double the space

Wolves:
    The Fossil Butte Pack alpha male died last winter. The Fossil Butte Pack now only consists of 5 wolves.

Birds of Prey:
    The center plans to move the Golden Eagle and Red Tailed Hawk Aviaries over behind the Bald Eagle exhibit as where they are now will be home to the new bear exhibit. The center is currently only displaying 2 of their 3 bald Eagles in their exhibit.

Riparian Building:
    1.Male Otters Moe and Clarke have successfully been introduced to one another and have formed their own bachelor group
    2.The center recently received a new batch of Arctic Grayling. The former Arctic Grayling exhibit has been converted to a fish nursery. This new batch of Arctic Grayling are currently Juveniles but once they grow older they will move into the Yellowstone Cutthroat Trout Tank. The center also plans to receive a new batch of Yellowstone Cutthroat Trout sometime soon.
    3. the center is planning on bringing In Ruddy Shelducks next year and they plan to House them in the Trout/Arctic Grayling exhibit.
    4. The center does have a Rubber Boa but it’s currently behind the scenes. The center also might be building an entirely new exhibit for their Garter Snake as she seems to be outgrowing her old exhibit.

HOME

TinoPup likes this.
  3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I really do love it they have gone for the "lesser" (non-sexy ... as perceived by some) species and showcase river otters, cutthroat trout and Arctic graylings in this new exhibit. A nice addition to the the Yellowstone parks storyline.

4. John Marchwick

it truly is a nice exhibit. It’s one of my favorite places to be in while visiting the center.‘My personal favorites are the fish and otter exhibits

5. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ruddy Shelducks come from Eurasia. Did you perhaps mean Ruddy Ducks, which occur in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem?

6. John Marchwick

Yes I meant Ruddy Ducks. My apologies

Kifaru Bwana and Ituri like this.
  7. John Marchwick

8. John Marchwick

We have an update from the grizzly and wolf discovery center! I recently visited and I found out a couple new things from the staff there.

1. Clarke, the centers first North American River Otter in history recently passed away due to age related complications. They’re now trying to introduce Moe, who previously came on exhibit with Clarke. The center has and will continue to try again introducing Moe to brothers Cliff and Wade.
    2. Bo, a male grizzly at the center was successfully introduced to 2 other male grizzlies Coram and Bo. All the grizzly bears at the grizzly and wolf discovery center for those of you that don’t know are rescues.
    3. Obsidian, a 3 year old male gray wolf recently had to be separated from his litter mates Shasta and Bridger as apparently Shasta has been aggressively pinning Obsidian. His 2 siblings Shasta and Bridger are still together and they’re still the Hoodoo Pack while the center intends to create a whole new pack with Obsidian and Harlequin, a female gray wolf born to the Fossil Butte Pack at the grizzly and wolf discovery center in April 2020. Harlequins brother and littermate Boulder might also be apart of this new pack consisting of hopefully Harlequin and Obsidian however Boulder might still stay with the Fossil Butte Pack as well. Harlequin and Obsidian have had howdy introductions with one another along with Boulder and Obsidian however Boulder isn’t as interested in Obsidian like Harlequin has.
    4. A new bear deck is opening this Wednesday at the grizzly and wolf discovery center. The goal was to improve viewing of the centers grizzly bears.
    5. The center has resumed construction on the new bear dens and new bear habitat and fundraising is nearly complete for both projects. The 8 new bear dens might be opening as soon as this fall but for sure by 2023 while the new bear habitat might be opening as soon as 2024. Grizzly bears AND black bears, a new species to the grizzly and wolf discovery center, will be apart of the new exhibit with the bears all being rescues from the wild that will stay at the center either temporarily or currently. One thing to note all the grizzly bears currently at the grizzly and wolf discovery center are permanent residents. The center will also be renovating their current bear dens and making them bigger.
    6. All of the grizzly and wolf discovery centers birds of prey are currently off exhibit due to the avian flu. The center is building a new golden eagle and red tailed hawk aviaries in their birds of prey exhibit because the current golden eagle habitat and red tailed hawk habitat are being demolished to make way for the new bear exhibit. The ruddy shelducks arrival has been delayed due also due to the avian flu.
    7. New signage for the reptile and amphibian exhibits.
    8. The center will be building a brand new outdoor North American River Otter habitat after the completion of the new bear dens and new bear exhibit next to their Banks of the Madison exhibit.

Smaggledagle and Astrotom3000 like this.
  9. John Marchwick

And I made errors with this post. So to correct the mistakes.

Bo was Successfully introduced to Coram and Grant. I didn’t mean to say Bo twice so I apologize,

Moe, a male North American River Otter is currently being introduced to brothers Cliff and Wade however Moe has been pretty aggressive with Cliff. I also mistakenly said banks of the Madison when I meant to say Banks of the Yellowstone so I apologize.

Another thing I forgot to add is that the grizzly and wolf discovery center might be resuming their partnership with Alaska Fish and Game in the near future. The grizzly and wolf discovery center wants to expand now in rescuing bears not just in the Greater Yellowstone and Northwest Montana. Currently, the only state wildlife agency the grizzly and wolf discovery center has rescued bears from has been in Montana overall these last 2 decades.

Wisp O' Mist and Smaggledagle like this.
  10. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

John Marchwick likes this.
  11. Smaggledagle

On December 29th, the center announced that a (1.0) grizzly bear named Grant passed away at age 11 the week prior due to arthritis in his spine and a pinched spinal cord.

登录 Facebook

12. Smaggledagle

On June 5th, 2023, the center announced that a (1.0) grizzly bear named Sam passed away at age 27 due to a decline in health.

Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center

13. Smaggledagle

KiwiBirb and TinoPup like this.
  14. Smaggledagle