Join our zoo community

guanaco's in mixed exhibits?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Illustrator, 2 Oct 2017.

1. Illustrator

Illustrator New Member

Hi everyone,

Do you know of any zoo is keeping guanaco's in mixed exhibits with something else than Patagonian hares or rheas?

Thanks,Paul

2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Zoo Berlin has them with capybara as well and coscoroba swan and in the past with a Grey brocket deer as well. Other combinations I have seen include Andean goose in Zurich and I am sure I have seen them mixed with giant anteaters as well... Doesn't San Diego keep them with tapir?

3. Hvedekorn

Hvedekorn Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Givskud Zoo used to keep them (they replaced alpacas in their South America exhibit) with a Brazilian tapir for maybe a couple of years, then the tapir left the collection, though I don't know if the guanacos were the reason.

4. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

San Diego Zoo keeps guanaco with capybara and baird's tapir in the Elephant Odyssey section of the zoo.

Here's a photo of the exhibit:Elephant Odyssey - Baird's Tapir/Guanaco/Capybara Exhibit | ZooChat

5. temp

temp Well-Known Member

Several zoos have done the mix with guanaco + tapir (South American/Baird's) and it typically works. When there are issues with guanacos in mixed exhibits they're typically individual (one that just can't get along, even when the others do fine) or with adult males that sometimes may show aggression.

For a detailed North American review, see Ungulate Mixed-Species Exhibits (in the pdf you'll find main guanaco info on pages 111 & 165-6; more detailed guanaco exhibit reviews on 228, 255-6, 406, 449-50, 457-8, 768-9, 819, 823 & 909; zoos that had failed guanaco mixes on 952).

Last edited: 3 Oct 2017
  6. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Paris Zoo has them with rhea (I know you said other than rhea, just adding this for the record).

7. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Animal Haven Zoo has them with Llamas and Bactrian Camels.

8. Joker1706

Joker1706 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Krefeld Zoo also kept them together with rhea, capybara and brazilian tapir (but thereĀ“s no tapir in the moment)

9. Azamat Shackleford

Azamat Shackleford Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Detroit has em with rhea, screamers, fallow deer, and occasionally capybara :p