Join our zoo community

Zoo Boise guns at the zoo....

Discussion in 'United States' started by Chlidonias, 21 Jul 2008.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

2. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The problem is the irational fear of guns many general citizens have.

It is the criminals who carry guns illegaly people should be worried about.

3. Pygathrix

Pygathrix Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It's not irrational. These people are clearly stupid and dangerous.

4. Monty

I could not see anything in the article to give me that impression.

5. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I agree with monty. I know it's not exactly the same but I people's fear are often irrational. I find it annoying to have to take my pocket knife of my belt (or atleast leave the knife in the car) everytime I go into town. Not the same as guns but similar. . . although the zoo. . . hmm . . .

6. Chlidonias

carrying a knife or a gun in your belt when you're on your ranch or where-ever is ever so slightly different to walking around in a city with a gun at your side.

7. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Why in the name of Satan's trousers would you want to take your gun with you into the zoo? Or anywhere else for that matter? I'm sorry, Mr / Ms Monty, but these people sound seriously deranged to me.

8. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

I look at it this way there wouldnt be a news story about it if it wasnt a stunt...

9. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I went to Atlanta zoo with a friend who lived in Atlanta. That night at his house when he took of his jacket. There was a gun!!

Very suprised we had a long conversation about this gun and two others he has. 1 in the car that other at his business! He is neither stupid and dangerous l think???

Apparentely in Atlanta at least allot of people carry guns all day every day. So l am sure that at ony given day Atlanta zoo would have many visitors carrying guns. Thinking about this if a large animal escaped its enclosure.......

I am always intersted in what happens when you scratch the surface of someone and find out there secrets! Animals once again are proven to be so much nicer!

Stuart R Webster

10. Monty

Zooman I agree with you, but not the bit about animals escaping. I lived in the US for nealy two years and did own a revolver. I kept it in my car or house and the only thing I shot with it was tin cans.

I also presume this was a stunt otherwise it would not have been reported in the media.

In many states in the US it is comletly legal to carry a firearm openly, but you need a permit to conceal it. A huge number of people in the US also have these permits.

I put in my first post it is not law abibing citizens with guns people should be worried about. Criminals are stupid, but not stupid enough to have a go at someone who they can see is carying a gun. You would be safer with one of these people as the gun is a deterent.

It is interesting that the most anti coments are coming from UK residents. Do you believe your very restrictive gun laws have stopped crime. Are you concerned with the increase in knife murders in the UK.

11. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

This is a bit away from the subject of zoos, but since you ask Monty - stopped crime? No. Given a level of crime below that of America? Of course. Doesn't the USA have one of the highest murder rates in the western world?

12. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

To me it sounds like a special case for treatment. A whole company of shrinks would not be able to root out the National Rifle Association though.

I know the history and all of gun carrying and control ..... but when and if you carry a gun you are bound to use it. In the US some folks seem to think it is their god given right to do so. The bottom line here is that it is exactly the reason why violence in US society in general and the murder rate are major issues over there.

To carry a gun while you are visitting a zoo is just ... (pfffft) really over the top! Mind you, a lot of US citizens think likewise (that carrying a gun inside a zoo is really doing it over too many times).

Mind you I carry a rifle when I go out hunting (and I am a conservationist). At other times I would not want to be seem dead with it though.

13. Chlidonias