Join our zoo community

Tierpark Hagenbeck Hagenbeck Zoo Orang enclosure

Discussion in 'Germany' started by brokehalo7, 5 Dec 2007.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

The orangutan exhibit looks marvellous, especially with the natural light streaming through the roof, but the moat full of water is simply asking for trouble down the road. I agree with Pertinax and think that the inclusion of the moat in the exhibit is lazy and ridiculous.

2. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I loved that branches are especially designed for climbing mode of orangutans.

They have lots of vertical ropes spaced at orangutan arm-width. And bamboo poles which swing under orangutan weight, like wild orangutans swing on small trees. So apes are wonderfully active and happy.

In other zoos you see random mish-mash of branches and ropes, and orangutan climbing with difficulty or sitting on the ground. This is true for other climbing animals, too.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think that hopefully new Orangutan exhibits will from now on incorporate these vertical ropes and/or bamboo poles which allow captive Orangutans to climb and swing properly as they would in the wild. Other new Orangutan exhibits that have these are Melbourne and Chester, I'm sure there are others too.

I agree that ordinary ropes, rubber 'fire hoses' and solid climbing frames for Orangs are really little better than not giving them any climbing equipment at all. Hopefully we will see this style disappear in the future.

Last edited: 27 Aug 2008
  4. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

I was in Hagenbeck Zoo last week and I liked this exhibit very much! Very original building, that can close when it's bad weather.

[​IMG]

5. Swedish Zoo Fan

Swedish Zoo Fan Well-Known Member

I think that house looks amazing... Going to the zoo in the late October?? BTW, what weather is it usually in Hamburg and Hannover in the late October??

6. drzoomi

drzoomi Well-Known Member

I am sorry, I am the only one who think that this exhibit is bad?
    i was there, for the people its amazing, very nice looking, and for the first look i thought that its the same for the animals but the cafe inside the exhibit?!
    The smell of oil (from frying) was bad, i have to say that i couldnt stand it and i can only think what those poor orangs must smell everyday.

Shai

7. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have a question regarding one of Animal's pictures...Can the otters access that little bit of land in front of the cafe?
    And from looking at zoolex I hadn't realised that there was an underwater view to see the otters swimming.

8. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Really interesting point! In winter it must get out of control!

Had never really considerd the negative effect of smells on animals in captivity.

9. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Yes, they can. That is the otters' private area.

10. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In Winter, the café is only open on weekends.

11. drzoomi

drzoomi Well-Known Member

i was in the middle of the summer...the smell was so bad.....

12. Swedish Zoo Fan

Swedish Zoo Fan Well-Known Member

It's a very good exhibit, but the small café was pretty stupid :( Also, I didn't see any otter :(

13. Animal

Animal Well-Known Member 15+ year member

From the café to the orangs are big windows. I'm often in there, especily in winter (perfect house for visitors: attraktiv animals, toilets and café) and the only smell there is comes mostly from the apes. When you stand at the moat you cant smell anything from the café.