Join our zoo community

Halls Gap Zoo Halls Gap Zoo

Discussion in 'Australia' started by LOU, 3 Jul 2009.

1. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

We visited the Halls Gap Zoo recently, after more than 10 years since our previous visit and the following is my personal observations and opinions as well as a bit of a review of the zoo. I have to start off by saying, it’s a fantastic place and collection and I really enjoyed my second visit.

I understand the Halls Gap Zoo has changed twice in the past 10 years and has grown and developed considerably from a rather humble wildlife park to being a serious zoo. The zoo is situated amongst the picturesque Grampians mountain range. It takes full advantage of the natural bush landscape and whilst some of the exotic animals look a bit out of place (the red pandas in gum trees is pretty unique!) the natural bush landscape is quite attractive.

The triangle shaped entrance building houses about 10 reptile tanks with mostly exotic species, including star tortoises, pig nosed turtles, Boyd’s forest dragons and chameleons and a few snakes. There is also a good selection of merchandise to purchase including naturally shed Elk antlers and peacock feathers etc. Immediately outside here is the first of several marmoset enclosures, this one being mostly all corrugated iron with 2 glass viewing windows and the plants inside were citrus trees in large pots. Within this first area of the zoo are enclosures scattered all round with no real organised layout and a wide range of enclosure designs. The whole zoo has no real ‘grouping’ or organisation by either geographical area or type of animal. Thus this area has exhibits for American Alligator next to Red Panda, Fennec fox next to cotton topped marmoset next to white tailed Black cockatoo, salt water crocodile beside small (mostly African) finches and weavers, the nocturnal house (all native aussie animals) the fossil house with more reptiles, a row of aviaries with a Green Iguana, common, Golden, miniature and cotton topped marmosets, some domestic animals (hairy black pigs, a pony and a donkey) and guinea fowl, peafowl and lots of wild corellas were also seen here. I actually quite like this random approach as you never know what might be seen in the next exhibit!

Passing a nice aviary for native birds (orang fronted parrots, finches and doves incl a rose crowned fruit dove) you pass thru large gates and are greeted by a group of ever hungry Fallow Deer. I noticed they tended to hang around the gate ready to nab people with bags of food (purchased at the entry) and they didn’t really follow you much if you didn’t have food (as we didn’t) The first enclosures in this area are for 2 groups of meerkat then several large enclosures for monitors and water dragons. I saw a sign saying they were building an enclosure for giant tortoises here. The path leads you on into an area that, 10 years ago, was just fenced off bush paddock, so all these enclosures are ‘new’ built. 4 large enclosures housed scarlet macaws (1 pair) spider monkeys (3) Black & White Ruffed Lemurs (2) and Ring Tailed Lemurs (I could only see the tail of 1) Whilst the enclosures were large, I didn’t like the way that all plants were in large pots and covered over with wire mesh. By this stage, I was also noticing the heavy use of corrugated iron in all their enclosures – lots and lots of it! Past these enclosures and thru another gate were more reptiles (venomous native snakes and more goannas) cheetah and a small group of Elk/Wapiti. Tasmanian devils in simple corrugated iron fenced areas, spotted quolls, a koala, quokka, and a few wallabies lead onto the wet land birds (including what they called Red Jungle Fowl, but were nothing more than pretty bantams – clearly the wrong colours!) brolgas, a cassowary paddock which was dense natural native bush, and another small dam that was supposed to have Egyptian Geese according to the label, but I couldn’t see any. This next area still had aviaries that I remembered from my previous visit, but also many new ones, all featuring the usual corrugated iron and wield mesh. They actually have an impressive collection of parrots including Red, Yellow and White tailed Black cockatoos, Major Mitchel cockatoos, Blue & Gold Macaws (X 5) Blue Crowned Amazons, Ecelectus Parrots, various Australian parrots including a large colony of Rainbow Lorikeets (about 30 or more) and then several more aviaries with kookaburras, kestrels, tawny frog mouths, owls and lots of bush thick-knees (a pair or group were seen in several aviaries, and I understand they breed them successfully for a release programme) Also in amongst this area is the viewing for the pair of giraffe boys. My impression of the giraffe enclosure was, its a bit disappointing. For such a large animal and possibly the biggest draw card animal, the design of the viewing area is rather strange. The actual viewing area is tucked away behind 2 old aviaries (so maybe these will be removed one day) and there is a large timber post and rail fence to contain the giraffes that effectively block out the view of them. On our visit, both giraffe were eating in their night yard. They can also be seen from 2 more small areas further on your journey around the zoo as their enclosure is almost central.

The next area of the zoo is a bit complicated in terms of layout. Whilst the path leads you past everything, it zig zags around a lot and in several places you see thru 3 or 4 old wire fences and you get a bit confused as to how the path will lead you to ‘that animal just over there’. Servals have 2 densely planted enclosures, dingos have large yards, and all the kangaroo, wallabies and emus live in the next series of paddocks before paddocks for 2 bison bulls, 2 presvelski horses, 5 or 6 thar, 2 barbary sheep, alpacas, wombats, emus and domestic sheep and goats, hog deer and a large aviary for a single wedge tailed eagle. This then completes the circuit back to the domestic pigs and pony pens and the display of dinosaur statues.

I would have liked to spend a lot more time here, unfortunately I was with 4 car loads of non-animal loving extended family, and they suddenly lost interest in the place half way round and turned around and walked out, leaving me to finish the place by myself at a rather rushed pace! I missed out seeing the hog deer, the Egyptian and Canada geese and several other animals. I loved seeing the transformation there has been in the past 10 years and whilst for many of the exotics, they have single sex groups; they appear to be contributing to several native species breeding programs. I thought they had a good varied selection of animals with lots of exotics and parrots (which is where my main interest lies) and there was a few new species that I hadn’t seen before (Black Flying Fox, Fennec Fox) I thought all their newer enclosures were very solidly constructed and serviceable. I would have liked to see more effort put into planting out the enclosures with habitat appropriate plants but I realise most animals enjoy trashing them as well. Overall, I really enjoyed my visit and recommend others make the effort to visit if they were in that part of the country – it is a long way from suburbia Melbourne! I have loaded more photos from my visit into their gallery.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I split the post from the news thread to its own stand-alone review thread. Hope that's okay with you Astrobird.

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Thanks for the review!

4. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

5. Astrobird

Where have you gleaned that info from - not that I'm doubting you!

6. MRJ

"Reliable sources". I think these things are always difficult for the people involved and of course are basically private, so I am not prepared to go any further, and would have said anything except it was me who posted the press article (which made the sale public knowledge). However, anybody who wants to buy a zoo...

7. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It's true, unfortunately for all involved.

8. MattyP

MattyP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So does anybody know if the zoo is still for sale?

9. MRJ

10. Astrobird

Halls Gap Zoo have their first Rhino - a male, Kifaro, originally born in Hamilton NZ but been in Canberra's National Zoo. They hope a 2nd male will come next year and then finally a female.

Jambo, Kifaru Bwana, PAT and 3 others like this.
  11. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In a week, Halls Gap zoo will be receiving a 22 month old, male giraffe, Zawadi from Altina. He will become the Hall’s Gap’s 3rd giraffe. Interestingly, the article states that Zawadi was originally going to Melbourne but Melbourne was renovating their giraffe enclosure. This could’ve been interesting if he was moved there. My guess is, that he was probably going to be sent there to breed with 7 year old Nakuru, replacing the previous breeding bull Makulu.

Halls Gap Zoo confirms exciting new addition

Zorro and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  12. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

A helmeted honeyeater is now on display at Halls Gap.:)
    Halls Gap Zoo

Zorro, Jambo and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  13. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Only one specimen at Halls Gap ? One would expect that at least a pair would be kept ( and hopefully treid to breed with it ) for such an endangered subspecies. Or are there plans to bring in a mate for the single bird ?

14. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The breeding program is operated by Zoos Vic and the state government, and one pair at a relatively distant location wouldn’t meaningfully add to it. I suspect Halls Gap’s bird is a genetically excess one, just for show.

zooboy28, Jambo and WhistlingKite24 like this.
  15. MRJ

16. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I've got the $5.5 - the "million" bit is a bit more of an issue...

MRJ likes this.
  17. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

I've visited this zoo a couple of times in the last couple of years. The current owners have done a great job with expanding the collection and Its certainly got a mass of future potential. My one major criticism is that on both visits its been clear to me that when it comes to the aesthetics/exhibit design/park planning/landscaping side of things - its not their thing. At all. And thats being nice. The giraffe exhibit is so badly designed that one struggles to get a decent view of the giraffes. Which takes an effort to screw up given we are talking about one of the world's largest mammals.

There is absolutely deadfall absolutely EVERYWHERE. branches piling up on enclosure roofs, pathways. In animal enclosures. It is a huge fire risk and ugly. On my second visit the koalas had gone: their exhibit completely crushed by a huge fallen eucalyptus branch that was left there and had obviously been that way for some time. Somebody buy these people a chainsaw. The park needs a serious clean up.

And its cluttered. You get a sense there is no master plan. Like a house that just keeps adding extensions upon extensions. Which is a shame since is a beautiful area. I hope whoever buys it has a vision a love of landscaping and good sense of aesthetics, because its all thats lacking in what could otherwise be a real standout private zoo.

18. MattyP

MattyP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

All I need to do is win this Saturday night’s $20m Tattslotto draw and I’ll be all set to buy it.

19. WhistlingKite24

Halls Gap Zoo has received a male serval, who was born and hand raised at the National Zoo. He is now housed next door to Halls Gap’s other resident male.

Jambo likes this.
  20. WhistlingKite24

Halls Gap Zoo has welcomed the birth of a female Wapiti/Elk.
    Security Check

Jambo likes this.