Join our zoo community

Halls Gap Zoo Halls Gap Zoo

Discussion in 'Australia' started by LOU, 3 Jul 2009.

1. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

The cotton top tamarins moved to their new enclosure and a female ring tailed lemur named Asha arrived from Mogo Zoo. 2 donkeys arrived February 6th too.

2. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Halls Gap Zoo have recently opened a new exhibit for their group of five Black-capped Capuchins. The new enclosure is larger and is situated near the lemurs and spider monkeys. The exhibit now has several food stations to avoid conflict, new branches and trees, swings and a large net.

Source: Hall Gap Zoo's Facebook page

marmolady, Zorro and kiwimuzz like this.
  3. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

Honestly, Halls Gap is carrying Victoria in Primates, they have a whopping SEVEN species of new world monkeys (emperor tamarin, golden lion tamarin, cotton top tamarin, black handed spider monkey, pygmy marmoset, common marmoset and black capped capuchin), I'm pretty sure thats more than Melbourne, Taronga and a couple other zoos combined.

4. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Its quite interesting to see a lot of the regional zoos keeping a bigger range of animals than some of the big state funded zoos I would love to know the real reason why this is happening I fear our large zoos will become second rate to many major overseas zoos!

Yoshistar888 likes this.
  5. Yoshistar888

[QUOTE="Zorro, post: 1216268, member: 14275" I fear our large zoos will become second rate to many major overseas zoos![/QUOTE]

They have been for years now, Taronga is the only ‘competitor’ left but with the constant expansion of the collection of so many other zoos it might fall with the others.

6. Zorro

They have been for years now, Taronga is the only ‘competitor’ left but with the constant expansion of the collection of so many other zoos it might fall with the others.[/QUOTE]
    Perhaps it will maybe another hotel or plastic kids play ground might be another option!

Yoshistar888 likes this.
  7. Yoshistar888

Perhaps it will maybe another hotel or plastic kids play ground might be another option![/QUOTE]

Melbourne Zoo has been turned into a giant playground essentially. I kid you not there’s about 6 or 7 play spaces.

8. Zorro

Melbourne Zoo has been turned into a giant playground essentially. I kid you not there’s about 6 or 7 play spaces.[/QUOTE]
    Really perhaps they need to fill all the empty areas with something other than animal exhibits!

Yoshistar888 likes this.
  9. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

Since you place such high judgement on number of exotic I'm curious why you consider Taronga superior to Melbourne? I would have thought Melbourne held more exotic mammals than Taronga.

Now thats a big exaggeration. There are a few play areas in spaces that have never really been utilised as animal exhibits.

Grant Rhino likes this.
  10. Yoshistar888

For me it’s not just about mammals, reptiles and birds play a massive part, on exotic reptiles id say Melbourne edges out Taronga but on exotic birds Taronga blows Melbourne out of the water.

On natives Taronga dominates, Melbournes native collection is quite poor (yes I know there’s Healesville) but Tarongas is just far superior.

Exotic Mammals at Melbourne (and not Taronga)

Malayan Tapir
    Collared Peccary
    Black Handed Spider Monkey
    Black and White Colobus
    Hamadryas Baboon
    Siamang
    Sumatran Orangutang
    African Lion
    Snow Leopard
    African Wild Dog
    Brown Nosed Coati

Exotic Mammals at Taronga (and not Melbourne)

Alpaca (dosent give much)
    Bongo
    Pygmy Marmoset
    Francois Langur
    Chimpanzee
    Fishing Cat
    Sun Bear
    Fennec Fox
    Binturong
    California Sea Lion
    Capybara
    Barton’s Long Beaked Echidna

Turns out Taronga has 1 more but it’s an alpaca so they are basically even. Quality wise it’s subjective

Now thats a big exaggeration. There are a few play areas in spaces that have never really been utilised as animal exhibits.[/QUOTE]

It was a little exaggeration, I can think 7 off the top of my head and that’s putting ALL of growing wild as a single play space. There’s a playground in the main courtyard, the sandpit and stuff at Wild Seas, the water play near the Lions, the maze in the Aussie section, all of Keeper Kids (only counted as one), Wiggles Coroboree Frog Disco (it’s permanent).

Zorro likes this.
  11. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Can you please keep this to Halls Gap Zoo. Not every thread in the Australia forum needs to be turned into the exact same rant about other zoos.

12. Yoshistar888

Sorry I didn’t mean to drag it down, the initial conversation was about Halls Gap though.

Sorry Chili

13. kiwimuzz

kiwimuzz Well-Known Member

Made my second ever visit to Halls Gap Zoo on Friday. It is well worth the drive from Melbourne.
    They have been using the shut down to improve a few enclosures and tidy up the park. The 5 female capuchins have settled in to their new enclosure, which is much larger than their old domed enclosure. The park now has a nice monkey row, capuchin, spider monkey, ring tailed lemur pair (female Asha ex Mogo Zoo, male Dodi - they are hoping to breed soon), Black and White Ruffed Lemur pair (male 8 years, female 4 years), another ringtailed Lemur exhibit (possibly solitary male).
    If you want to see Wallabies and parrots there is planty of choice. Several walk through wallaby exhibits of good quality. Lots of parrot aviaries around the park with a good mix of Australian and exotic birds.
    Cheetah exhibit is very large and well done, although reflection from afternoon sunshine on viewing window didn't improve my photography skills.
    Rhino, bison, ostrich, himalayan thar, red panda, in good sized exhibits. 3 Giraffe have plenty of space, but as has been mentioned before there are really no good vantage points on which to see them clearly.
    There are some exhibits that definitely need improving - salt water crocodile and American alligator, and some of the older tamarin exhibits....
    Had a great day. Really enjoyed seeing an aviary of small African softbilled finches - such a rarity in Australia zookeeping.

14. WhistlingKite24

I'm glad the zoo still house this species. According to the exotic mammals of Australia thread only Halls Gap, Altina and Mansfield hold the species currently.
    Couldn't agree more - an underrated group of species that don't get the attention they deserve in zoos especially in collections that place an emphasis on African species.

15. toothlessjaws

I've never understood it. They make quite a nice exhibit in my backyard!

16. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

What are 'African softbilled finches?

17. kiwimuzz

kiwimuzz Well-Known Member

Hi Andrew, looking at my bad phone photos of the aviary signage, it contained Orange Breasted Waxbill, African Fire Finch, St Helena Waxbill. In true aussie fashion a couple of friendly locals were thrown in as well - Diamond Firetail Finch, White Breasted Woodswallow, Black winged Stilt. There were also a couple of unsigned birds in there as well, just to keep us all guessing.
    Cheers Murray

18. toothlessjaws

I suspect they meant to write "African waxbill finches". "Waxbill" is a broad term used for a number of smaller, mostly African finch species.

19. WhistlingKite24

Halls Gap Zoo has announced the arrival of 0.2 Emperor Tamarins. They are living in a mixed enclosure with Crimson-bellied Conures. From their Facebook page:
    Security Check

Jambo, Jungle Man and Zorro like this.
  20. Zorro

Thats wonderful news I bet there looking for male atm!